Author Topic: Spray weeds or mow first?  (Read 3844 times)

Unregistered

Spray weeds or mow first?
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »
Whew! my hydroseed made it through the Utah winter and is looking awesome.
I come to this forum once more with another hillbilly question.
Since Utah has had such a long winter I have only been able to see my new grass for about one week.
What I noticed as I looked at it is 2 things-

1-Lots of weeds that need killing.
 (I tried weed & feed about a week ago and the weeds are not even wilting)

2-It looks as if it is time for the 1st mowing ever, about 3" long in some places others about 5" (. (YES I AM EXCITED)!!!!
So which do I do first, the mowing or the spraying? That is my question to you folks today.
You have not let me down with all my other Utahn questions so lets see what the forum says this time.........

& thanks ahead of time you are all great!!!

Offline nhwater

• Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
First of all, congrads on your hydroseed and congrads on seeing green. We still have 2' of snow on our turf.

I'm sure your weeds are different, but depending on the type of weed and feed you used, a week is not unusual to see no wilt. If you used a dry herbicide, it will work better if the leaves are wet at application as the herbicide will stick to the leaf and give you much faster and better results.

We do not do a blanket weed and feed anymore for these and many other reasons. If possible, use a good water soluable selective herbicide.  We use a liquid and either spray with a backpack or larger sprayer depending on the sq footage of turf.

If done correctly, this will give you great results. However, not knowing your weeds, I can't tell you what to use. We use two different herbicides and with either one, it makes no real difference on whether you spray or mow first. I would make my determination on mow/spray on the type of herbicide, its active ingredient, how it works and most important....it's target. Some herbicides are not as strong and require more leaf tissue in order to get good control. Good luck and send the green grass our way........

Offline Utahn

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:21:31 PM »
So you don't think that mowing first would spread the weed seed?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 05:11:50 AM »
I don't think of myself as being as much of an expert on the weed part as some of the others but I would say no Utahn.  First a weed has to be at the stage where it is producing a seed for there to be any weed seed to dispurse and this early most weeds won't be there yet.   Second if the weed seed is buried under several inches of dirt it should be deep enough that it won't be able to produce a viable weed plant.  It will either lay there dormant or germinate and die.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW+Turbo Turf HM-500-T

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
First your grass is already to tall and should have been mowed already. Mowing guidelines say to avoid mowing more than 1/3 of the plant at any time. We recommend mowing new lawns at least 2" high and starting to mow as soon as any of the plants are any taller than that. Our premium lawn mix is 30% bluegrass and if you waited untill those plants were taller than 2" the other grass would be way to tall. Most weeds around here are annuals and simple mowing prevents them from reseeding and can show dramatic results the following season without the use of chemicals. If your weeds are annuals and haven't developed seed yet I would be mowing a.s.a.p. If they have already gone to seed or are perennials I would still be mowing and then you may have to look at using chemicals to prevent them from growing back. Identify them first. Don,t just throw any weed killer on them.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

* Recent Posts

Re: adding a shutoff? by Turboguy
[Today at 11:35:14 AM]

Re: adding a shutoff? by landscaper1009
[Today at 11:24:22 AM]

Re: adding a shutoff? by hydroservice
[December 21, 2014, 09:06:10 PM]

Re: power band belt? by cabokid
[December 21, 2014, 05:27:32 PM]