Author Topic: How well does hydroseeding work?  (Read 5777 times)

Offline ronwcu04

How well does hydroseeding work?
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »
Iím a school teacher and I am looking into starting a small hydro seeding business just for supplemental income over the summer. My brother has a very successful landscape company in our area and some of his former workers have moved on to start their own landscape companies etc... In all I know the owners of 8 successful landscape companies. I have worked summers and weekends in the landscape business for the better part of 12 years, doing everything from cutting, retaining walls, ep henry pavers, mulching, plantings etc... After talking with the owners they are split down the middle on hydro seeding. I think they are split because they plant lawns the ole fashion way, though they are very successful at it. In their experience, from what they have seen (by other landscape companies) are lawns that are patchy, thin, ones that donít come up at all or ones that take 3 years to have a full lawn. My question is, how successful is hydro seeding in regards to soil prep, thickness of application etc...? And generally how long does it take, if all the steps are taken to have a lush full lawn? I am very optimistic and think hydro seeding is the way to go, but wonder why so many others are not doing it? Also, in the $500,000 + neighborhoods in our area, seem to be sodded not hydro seeded, is there a reason for this? Also, does anyone have pictures or recent jobs from start to finish? Thank You!

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
I am sure guys who don't hydroseed would tend to knock it.  Hydroseeding has been growing rapidly for one main reason.  It works really well.  It is a far superior way to do a lot of seeding jobs.  It has the capability to produce a better lawn with fewer weeds in less time.  

Sometimes on high end houses they will go with sod.  More often they will sod the front lawn and hydroseed the rest.  Many of us belive hydroseeding is far superior to sod because when they cut the sod they are cutting the roots of the grass plant and it takes time and care to get them to grow back.  Also the sod is often grown on one type of soil and transplanted to another and sometimes this can cause problems.   The chief advantage of sod is that it does provide instant gratification but with hydroseeding in a few weeks the customer can have a better and healthier lawn at far less cost.

There can be a difference in the quality of the job and we do our best to help everyone know what to do to seed a quality lawn.  You did not say where you are and with that information I could be more specific about things such as how long it takes for a great lawn.  In the north the grass is usually up in 4-5 days, looks like a lawn in a few weeks or less and looks as good as a sod lawn in a month.   Early in the season and in the hottest part of the year it may be a week or two slower due to the cold or hot weather.

Hydro seeding can be a good part time business.  Many guys started that way and some will always do it as a part time business.  

Hope this helps some.  You can find some hydroseeding photos on http://www.I-HydroSeeding.com in the photo gallery.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW+Turbo Turf HM-500-T

Offline ronwcu04

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »
Turboguy,
I am located in Chester County Pennsylvania (South East). I tend to agree with what you are saying over what others have said. So in a month or two, it is possible/likely to have a full lawn? What seed/fertilizer etc... is recommended for my part of Pennsylvania? Does hydroseeding in shady areas with a shady seed blend work just as well? Also, this is a personal use question, would it be beneficial (could it be done) to hydroseed a wildlife foodplot etc... as long as the seed does not require 2-4" of topsoil? I see hydroseeding works with wildflowers , have you heard of anyone doing wildlife food plots? Thank You for all of the help, this is an outstanding forum.

Offline HLD

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »
I know Turboguy's company can send you a great information packet and DVD on hydroseeding and the types of machines they sell. There are many other companies as well who can do the same, I'm sure.

Easy Lawn, Bowie and Finn, and several other companies too numerous to name, make some great machines as well.

As I understand it, you can hydroseed virtually any kind of seed material.

I've been on this forum for several months now researching the same as you. I'm convinced of the effectiveness of the process and can't wait until my checkbook gives me the go-ahead. Good luck.

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »
wildlife food plots?

Yes you can do the  food  plots for wildlife, but you will need to prep the soil first , and I would look at doing a two step process . Broadcast the seed ,then come back with a mulch cap. Also you might look at adding some soil secrets organic compost  and adding some earth nectar to the mix.
" awareness of the environment through a physical sensation "

Offline TerrawoRx Services

• Forum Legend
  • Dream - Believe - Then Make It Happen
    • TerrawoRx Services
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »
Easygrass is absolutely correct!

The Soil Secrets TTP Supreme Compost is far superior to any synthetic fertilizer out there on the market. It has an NPK of 2-4-1 with 3.4% Iron per bag. It is extremely low in salts which fertilizers have in high amounts. Not only that but the fertilizer can in higher rainfall areas leach out before the seed ever needs those nutrients. This is validated science. Also remember that the seed has enough energy within it for up to two weeks after germination so you will need a  nutrient package that will sustain and not leach out. This is why the Soil Secrets TTP Supreme Compost works so well because it stays into the soil by offering nutrients and organic matter.

The Soil Secrets Earth Nectar is by far the best germinating soil enzyme package available in todays market. It also contain Mycorrhizae Fungi that have a symbiotic relationship with the root systems of plants and assist the plant in acquiring nutrients and water. It also increases the plants ability to withstand enviromental stresses such as drought, heat, wind, and cold.

We sell these two materials nationwide including into Hawaii for this specific purpose. And luckily for you I have a distribution hub not far from you in Maryland. Please view my website http://www.terraworx-usa.com for more information.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Regards,

~Erik
Erik Bernt Burr - Principal
TerrawoRx Services
Organic Hydroseeding, Feeding, Lawn Repair, Erosion Control, Pasture
info@terraworxservices.com
www.terraworxservices.com
Easy Lawn Machines

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
Does hydroseeding work? I would have to say hands down without a doubt. We have been succesfully doing it since 1960. If you walk over a sodded lawn and carefully look around you will find some signs that it has been sodded. Seams that just don't quite fill in is one sign. Sliced and drilled seeded lawns also have slight indications that show. A hydroseeded lawn shouldn't have any of these slight indications. As with any method  water fert etc all have alot to do with the success. I would chose a hydroseeded lawn over any other anytime.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline TerrawoRx Services

• Forum Legend
  • Dream - Believe - Then Make It Happen
    • TerrawoRx Services
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 05:05:36 PM »
Does hydroseeding work?

Well for the most part I would say yes! However there are a few things you want to remember. One of which is where you are located in the country as areas of more moisture have greater success versus areas such as I live that have high evaporation and extreme heat. Arizona and Las Vegas are perfect examples as well. Also every component involved is a science! And more importantly understanding the components of the soil is also vital to success. The industry is evolving quickly and is moving from standard fertilization systems to more of microbial/organic/biofertilization systems.

At anyrate please keep in mind that there are many factors involved and it is not as some perceive just throwing a bunch of ingredients into a tank and then spraying.

I do it organically everytime with the products I spoke of prior though they are a part of a fomula that I use.

If I can be of any assistance ever please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

~Erik
Erik Bernt Burr - Principal
TerrawoRx Services
Organic Hydroseeding, Feeding, Lawn Repair, Erosion Control, Pasture
info@terraworxservices.com
www.terraworxservices.com
Easy Lawn Machines

Offline ski4ever

hydroseeding ground preparation
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »
I've read that to prepare for hydroseeding/hydromulching to plant my new lawn I should do the following.

Prepare the ground thoroughly for seed or sod. Weed carefully, then use a rotary tiller to dig in compost or a mix of topsoil and compost to a depth of 6 inches (15 cm). Rake out rocks and smooth the soil. Use a roller filled halfway with water to tamp down the soil for optimal germination and root growth.

I asking because I have this idea that it would be best in the long term. However, I thought I'd check with the experts first.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »
All sounds fine except the rolling part. If you want to roll it I would not do it before seeding. After it has been seeded is ok. If you are going to sod then lightly rolling before sodding is ok.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

* Recent Posts

STEAL OF A DEAL FOR EPIC C-90 AND FREE MULCH! by bustos622
[October 20, 2014, 01:36:40 PM]

Re: Fertilizer by hydroservice
[October 20, 2014, 07:58:48 AM]

Re: Fertilizer by Smerfdog
[October 19, 2014, 07:44:39 PM]

Re: A few concerns by Smerfdog
[October 19, 2014, 07:41:27 PM]