Author Topic: I Want to HydroSeed My Own Lawn(DIY) - Need to know ingrediants and measurements  (Read 29878 times)

Offline darrylba

Can somone point me to a thread or indicate the steps on hydroseeding my own lawn. I need information like what ingrediants I need and their measure ments would be nice. Where can I find these ingrediates,(Southern States, Hope Depot, Hardward) My only interest is to do it myself.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:04:39 AM by darrylba »

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
Where are you from?  you would need seed , fertilizer , and mulch to start with.
" awareness of the environment through a physical sensation "

Offline darrylba

Where are you from?  you would need seed , fertilizer , and mulch to start with.

I am in Va.  What kind of mulch, Fine? Course? etc.  What kind of Fertilzer?  I want to use Tall Fescu Grass Seed.

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
You can use a wood mulch, or a paper mulch, or a blend of wood/paper. if there is a jhondeere landscape supply, or a lessco store you could get your mulch and seed and fertilizer from them. you also would need to fine some one to rent you a machine to use.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
darrylba

Let me ask you this question to start.  Do you have a hydro seeding machine or access to one?  If so what kind?  

I am sure you could rent one if that is what you have in mind but although that might seem like a foolish question lots of people don't know what is involved so I wanted to clear that up first.

Paper mulch is probably the easiest to use and since it is not all that hot yet and for a beginner that would be my recommendation.  As far as fertilzer we all have different opinions on what we like.  I like a high phosphorus starter fertilzer myself that is designed specifically for establishing a new lawn and you should be able to buy a starter fertizler anywhere including Home Depot or Southern States.   As far as mulch I would do an online search or look in your phone book for a John Deere Landscapes store.  There should be one close and they would have hydro seeding mulch.

If you don't have a hydro seeding machine or don't have access to one then we can talk about some things like Penn Mulch which is not as good but you don't need a machine for it.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW+Turbo Turf HM-500-T

Offline darrylba

You can use a wood mulch, or a paper mulch, or a blend of wood/paper. if there is a jhondeere landscape supply, or a lessco store you could get your mulch and seed and fertilizer from them. you also would need to fine some one to rent you a machine to use.

Obviously I am new to this. This requires a machine? I am not looking to do an entire lawn in a day, I would like to test a section first. I maybe end up doing the lawn in sections. Since a machine is required, I am assuming that this has to be mixed. So are you saying it can't be mixed manally? Or using a machine is a quick way of doing it.

db

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
You would need a machine to mix everything together  and spray your lawn. Also as Ray said you can get Penn Mulch and spread it with a broadcast spreader, after you put your seed down. How big is your yard that you want to do?

Offline darrylba

darrylba

Let me ask you this question to start.  Do you have a hydro seeding machine or access to one?  If so what kind?  

I am sure you could rent one if that is what you have in mind but although that might seem like a foolish question lots of people don't know what is involved so I wanted to clear that up first.

Paper mulch is probably the easiest to use and since it is not all that hot yet and for a beginner that would be my recommendation.  As far as fertilzer we all have different opinions on what we like.  I like a high phosphorus starter fertilzer myself that is designed specifically for establishing a new lawn and you should be able to buy a starter fertizler anywhere including Home Depot or Southern States.   As far as mulch I would do an online search or look in your phone book for a John Deere Landscapes store.  There should be one close and they would have hydro seeding mulch.

If you don't have a hydro seeding machine or don't have access to one then we can talk about some things like Penn Mulch which is not as good but you don't need a machine for it.

Like I said in an earlier post. I don't have time to do a whole yard, I prefer to do it in sections if I can. I live in a rural area and dont have ready access to a machine. I won't rule that option of renting a machine. I would really like to test a section of lawn first. I am interested in doing it manually, since I have to pace this. What is Penn Mulch?  I am very new to this.

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
You are on the ball Warren,  I was just ready to post a link.  Since mine is a little differnt I will post it anyway.

http://www.lebturf.com/pdfs/PennMulch_FAQ.pdf

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
well my internet was down for a while so I am trying to get as much done before it goes out again ;D ;D

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
My internet is pretty stable but my brain kicks out every once in a while.

Offline darrylba

you can go here to read about Penn Mulch

http://www.lebanonturf.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.TechnologyDetail&id=98&typeid=7

So, I have to order this from the website? Or is it in normal hardware stores. I am assuming you mix this with the grass seed. Sorry can't open pdf file at this time. I can't seem to find a website where you can order this stuff.

db
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:21:03 PM by darrylba »

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
You might be able to find it at a garden center or home depo or lowes I am not for sure on those, and you can get it on line .  you should put your seed and fertilizer out first then come back over the seed with the penn mulch.

Offline darrylba

You might be able to find it at a garden center or home depo or lowes I am not for sure on those, and you can get it on line .  you should put your seed and fertilizer out first then come back over the seed with the penn mulch.

You have been very good at giving me info. But this stuff is hard to find to order on the interenet. Doing searches on it has not produced not many results. Mostely deadends. I am gonna try to check some of the local farm centers to see if they have it. One other question, what kind of fertilizer should I use with the seed? Is there a certain name for it.  As far as spreading the pennmulch, should I spread it just like spreading seed?

* Recent Posts

Re: Trade Show Attendence by Turboguy
[Today at 01:37:54 PM]

Trade Show Attendence by Bowie Man
[Today at 09:11:52 AM]

Re: Ground Prep Work Before hydroseedeing. by Turboguy
[September 12, 2014, 11:02:27 AM]

Re: Ground Prep Work Before hydroseedeing. by Chaser
[September 11, 2014, 08:31:22 PM]

Re: Dirt patches in lawn still by Turboguy
[September 11, 2014, 07:44:56 AM]

* Calendar