Author Topic: Overseeding wildflowers into an existing lawn  (Read 2741 times)

Offline easttexbuckeye

Overseeding wildflowers into an existing lawn
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
I've looked through the forums, and haven't seen anyone ask this question: can I have someone hydroseed wildflowers (in particular, Indian Paintbrush) into my existing, healthy back yard?  I do NOT want to dig up my lawn. However, I'm willing to aerate if you think that will work.  Unlike my front yard (ANOTHER story entirely), my back yard takes care of itself; I don't even water, hardly. And obviously, I don't mind the grass getting long! Here are my specifics:
* north side of Houston, Tx (in Humble, actually)
* mostly Bermuda (I would guess--I'm in a new development, it's probably whatever is the least expensive), plus some other grass that grows VERY tall
* sunny for most of the day, shady by the back fence for a couple hours
* well drained
* dog fertilized

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:54:18 PM by easttexbuckeye »

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Overseeding wildflowers into an existing lawn
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes you can do the wildflowers ( and Indian Paintbrush ) But now is not the time to do this, you would need to wait until October to do this, and yes you could have some one Hydroseed them in to your yard. But you also can do it your self, you would need to power rake your yard first to open up the ground so that you can get good soil to seed contact, then lightly rake the seed in and let nature take its course. I would also look at putting some compost down at the same time to feed the soil .
" awareness of the environment through a physical sensation "

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:58:31 PM »
HEY Easttexbuckeye,

Don't know if you have tried to find any Indian Paitbrush or not but it is in short supply and right now is going for $900.00 a pound.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:26:27 PM by easygrass »

Offline SpeedyGreenInc

• Forum Guru
  • High Performance Hydroseeding Products
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »
Wow thats crazy!
Speedy Green Inc.

IAHP Vice President
Applegate Mulch Distributor
Innovative Turf Solutions Additives Distributor
Pennington Seed Distributor

Watertown, New York
speedygreeninc@gmail.com
www.predicttheendoftheworld.com

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
Most if not all wildflowers are actually weeds that are allowed to grow and flower. They do best when there is no competition from other plants grass or otherwise. Many wildflowers are also annuals that need to reseed themselves in order to appear again the next year. Some mixes are a combination of both annual and perennial. There are quite a few different mixes none of which are cheap some alot more expensive then others depending on the seeds in the mix. We will only seed wildflowers in the early spring or late fall in the dormant season. We also will only seed bare ground with straw mulch unless there is no guarantee then we would do whatever the homeowner wanted.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Howard

• Sr. Forum Member
    • Owen Brothers Landscape Development
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »
I guess you could try overseeding, but like hydroservice I don't think it will be successful for the same reasons.  These native grasses and wildflowers will be outgrown by the lawn grasses.  Even with hydroseeding the seed to soil contact will also be poor, and these species require good contact.

Once a native meadow is established, it will generally outcompete other plants.  We have excellent success with planting meadows, however we only do it to bare and well prepped ground as these plants (especially wildflowers) are slow starters. 

We only seed these grasses/flowers in early spring to allow them to get ahead of weed growth.  I do take issue with you hydroservice! (in a friendly way.)  NATIVE grasses and wildflowers are certainly not weeds!  They have just been displaced by non-natives such as Bluegrass.  Remember the definition of a weed is a plant growing where you don't want it. 

Anyway, after my rant, back to the original question.  I would not do this overseeding as the chance of success is very low at best. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:07:23 AM by Howard »
Finn
Long Island, NY

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »
If you look at what wildflowers are I think You will be surprised how many Are really weeds. Nice looking because they are allowed to mature and flower.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »
Well here is some good info on wildflowers.

http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/

* Recent Posts

* Calendar

September 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 [30]

No calendar events were found.