Author Topic: apply Hydroseed over existing lawn in bare patches etc?  (Read 7579 times)

Offline MWMT

apply Hydroseed over existing lawn in bare patches etc?
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
Can you use hydroseed technique over existing lawn or areas of lawn that don't have grass growing?  Such as a area used for gardening or areas that have received a high volume of foot traffic and are now bare?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:57:42 PM by MWMT »

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
Re: apply Hydroseed over existing lawn in bare patches etc?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
I have done a lot of that kind of seeding with excellent results.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW+Turbo Turf HM-500-T

Offline rapidlawn

• Sr. Forum Member
    • www.rapidlawn.ca
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
What kind of ground preparation did you do, if any??
I have done a lot of that kind of seeding with excellent results.
Monte Dobson
Owner - Rapid Lawn Hydroseeding
Regina, SK  CANADA
Ph. 306-552-8000
Email. info(at)rapidlawn.ca
Website. www.rapidlawn.ca

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:41 AM »
Rapid, it varies a lot.  I usually ask the customer to rake the bare areas to loosen the soil but lots of times there is no prep at all.  I did one of those on Tuesday.  Some areas they had brought in new top soil and raked it and other places had no prep.   I do one job each year at a bargain rate where I reseed a high school football field for $ 100.00.   It is one 300 gallon tankload and there is no prep.  It is mostly in the middle where the kids are playing hard and that job has a lot of hose dragging.  The principal of the school is also the football coach and his other business is that he is a landscaper.  I usually get three or 4 really nice jobs from him a year so I do that as a favor for him in return for the jobs he gives me.   I prefer to do the repair jobs in the Spring and Fall and don't like to do them in the Summer unless they are prepped and will water. 
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW+Turbo Turf HM-500-T

Offline Howard

• Sr. Forum Member
    • Owen Brothers Landscape Development
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
We did a job along a roadside several years back where the area was sprayed with Roundup in error.  Wiped out the grass completely.  We hydroseeded right over the top of the dead vegetation (no raking or anything) and it came up fast and filled in great.  Couldn't believe it, have been tempted to try to repeat the 'experiment' again (on a small part of an area we would be renovating) but haven't had the guts.

So in short ;D it is quite effective to hydroseed bare areas, especially if you do a little prep.  

We have found it a great way to go around and fix damaged areas on lawns in Fall.  Mix up a couple hundred gallons and move from lawn to lawn.  Quicker and easier than sending guys out to seed by hand.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:03:31 PM by Howard »
Finn
Long Island, NY

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
The only problem I had doing "spots" was not knowing if I needed a thick regular load or a very thin load. Unless the spot is bare, thin or even no fiber seemed to work best as it let the seeds get to the ground a little quicker. "Spots" also bring up the question of why are they bare. Did they get missed, is something in the soil, are there insects,  does the dog pee there, etc etc. Unless we knew the yard or site we would look at the spots and try to determine why and if it was worth shooting as is. If not we would say you need to do this and that then we will seed or call the next guy.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Howard

• Sr. Forum Member
    • Owen Brothers Landscape Development
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
Hydro, I agree that you should know what's happening on the lawn first.

We are only doing this for (and charging for) existing clients for whom we do lawn care programs for, so we know why the spots are bare and if we need to do any prep work or use another seeding method.  We sometimes have a crew first go round and rake out dead areas, prep soil then come back and hydroseed. 

We mix a 'thin' load for this type of application as it's usually for small spots & we can go a little heavy on the application if needed.
Finn
Long Island, NY

* Recent Posts

Re: Shaded areas by Turboguy
[Today at 09:40:19 AM]

Shaded areas by Tom S
[Today at 08:17:49 AM]

Re: 500 XPW into a Mechanical Machine by Aca Hydroseeding
[September 19, 2014, 04:03:34 PM]

Re: 500 XPW into a Mechanical Machine by Turboguy
[September 19, 2014, 01:01:22 PM]

Re: 500 XPW into a Mechanical Machine by Aca Hydroseeding