Author Topic: winter?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Oliver378

• Forum Member
winter?
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've had a number of people asking if its ok to hydroseed in the winter?

I live in Vancouver Canada...it doesn't get really cold, but it does rain alot and might get a couple days of snow.

Thanks in adavnce

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
Re: winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:42:52 AM »
Vancouver is one of the few major cities in Canada that I have never been to.  (I have heard good things about it).

Based on what you said, my two cents worth are that you would be fine hydroseeding in the winter.  I don't see any reason to stop.
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW+Turbo Turf HM-500-T

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:51 AM »
The biggest drawback to seeding dormant is that the seed has to stay where you put it for 4-6 months depending on your winters. Because we always seeded with hay mulch we never worried about it staying and seeded regardless of the month, ontop of snow etc. As long as the seed stays put it all comes in fine when spring arrives.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Howard

• Sr. Forum Member
    • Owen Brothers Landscape Development
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Ray, (Turbo) has far more experience with hydroseeding than I, but here goes my two cents, aside from that Vancouver is a great place to visit.  My only concern is like Hydro's, keeping the seed in place.  Are we talking predominately flat ground with gentle slopes only?

If so, hydroseeding now and keeping the seed in place should not be a problem.  If you have more extreme slope I would have some concern.  I would favor a wood blend, partially because you can go at a higher rate than paper mulch, go with a high rate of tack.

We have gone with a BFM mulch on sloped areas for extra 'insurance' and that has worked very well.  Snow cover and frozen ground is actually a good thing as the seed and mulch cant move.  Heavy rain is always going to move the seed and some mulch but rarely enough to be a factor except if you have heavy enough rain to cause some gullys.
Finn
Long Island, NY

Offline ajmctree

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:30:38 AM »
 I am either a 2 hour plane ride or a 16 hour drive north of you and i will quickly tell you my experiences. i have sprayed at my house (2 acers) in very late fall and have not had great success due too the rain we get and the freezing and thawing. Don't get me wrong where it grows in the spring its great but its where the rain has pooled all the seed and with more bare patches than you can shake a stick at.
 In the winter months you get alot more rain than we get up north but over the last few years our winters have been pretty goofy. when we dont get a snow fall that sticks tilll mid to late december thats just not normal for us.
 In that regard look at our summer we had  probably 10 weeks of sun and hot weather where typically that is closer to what is recieved in the lower mainland.
 For myself i stop spraying late september to early October but you should be able to go longer that that. At writing of this post i've been in Coquitlam for 4 days and tonight is the first rain that i've seen and the first couple of days were still 17/18 degrees out, very ideal for spraying.
 my two cents...
MALT Ventures
Ground Maintenance and Hydroseeding
Kitimat BC
Canada
TT300

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »
The seed pooling is what I mean by it has to stay where you put it when first seeded. Sometimes poor grading will cause issues if its holding water. If we stopped seeding in Oct even we wouldn't have been around long as many years 2/3 of our gross came from oct - dec. The nice thing with hay mulch is you can easily add more if its needed. Once we were dormant we usually went up to about 2 bales per thousand sq ft and sometimes more on slopes etc. When I think how much of our work had to sit for 6 months before germinating that grew just fine its pretty amazing. Once we seed it nature takes over and she can be nice or say nope not this time.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Groundforce

• Sr. Forum Member
    • http://www.beckysgardens.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »
I am in the Seattle area. You should be able to seed with no trouble through December. Germination will occur in March. You may need to go back and do a few touch ups so put that price into your bids. I think it will be too rainy in Vancouver to have customers calling until March. Good Luck. If you need long term protection on slopes I recommend adding BFM or FGM into your mix for extra protection. Regular tackifier will rarely last through a couple of rainfall events.

* Recent Posts

Re: Custom Built Hydroseed Machine by Hydrocan
[December 18, 2014, 08:47:51 AM]

Re: Is the Titan worth the extra $$$? by Finn Guy
[December 17, 2014, 05:55:52 PM]

Re: wanted finn t75 hydroseeder by Finn Guy
[December 17, 2014, 05:38:03 PM]

Re: Looking for used Hydroseed machine by Finn Guy
[December 17, 2014, 05:36:38 PM]

Re: Applegate vs Profile by AllanP
[December 17, 2014, 01:35:00 PM]

* Calendar