collapse

Author Topic: Hydroseeding vs Blown Straw  (Read 552 times)

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
Hydroseeding vs Blown Straw
« on: Tue April 18, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
Just a couple of pictures of a local site.   A great example of why hydroseeding works better than blown straw, especially when the straw is not tacked down.   Still not sure how it passed inspection.
The second picture of the swale just has too many issues.   As a test if you were the contractor how would you have stabilized and vegetated the swale and surrounding slope areas.  Post your comments.
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline Jumpstart

• Sr. Forum Member
    • GreenPatch@mymts.net
Re: Hydroseeding vs Blown Straw
« Reply #1 on: Tue April 18, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »
Quite obvious that the straw never held. I have no other experience than I do with Hydroseeding. So this is going to be biased. But in defence I have used Flexterra mulch and Supreme mulches with excellent holding power for vegetation start up. If I had to really resort to further stabilization , then I would have used a roll straw and staple system.

Attached is pic.  of Flexterra with a ditch blend seed and look at how it grew.......

Offline StuveXT

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: Tue April 18, 2017, 10:32:40 PM »
So what is the cost difference between blown straw and hydroseed?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #3 on: Wed April 19, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
Good question Ryan.  I think there are a number of things that come into play. 

A bale of straw can vary a lot in price but around here it ranges from about $ 5.00 to $ 10.00.  I would guess about $ 6-7.00 would be typical.  A bale of straw will cover about 500 sq. ft.  So material cost would be about $ 13.00 per thousand +/-

The other thing to keep in mind is when hydro seeding you are doing the seed, mulch, fertilizer and tack in one shot.   When you are blowing straw it is a separate step.  Straw will also often need to be raked off one the grass is growing.

The flip side of that is with a good straw blower it is pretty fast and you don't have to fill with water.

As far as results go a few years ago I did some seeding at a Sysco warehouse.  I did one big area then they did some smaller areas with seed and straw and had me come back and hydro seed a few small areas a few days after they did the seeding with straw.  When I checked back the small areas I hydroseeded were far better, thicker and taller than the areas they strawed.   I have also hydro seeded a number of jobs where they seeded and strawed with no results or poor results and they came out well.  I have done dozens of jobs like that so I do think in general hydro seeding has better results than seeding and strawing.

I do think straw over hydroseeding can be a good thing in the hottest part of summer or very early in the season.  I think the straw can provide shade that helps preserve moisture and in the early part of the year can help keep the soil warm.   
Turbo Turf HS-300-XPW +The all new HM-400-T.

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #4 on: Wed April 19, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
Turbo Guy has pretty much nailed it.  Straw blowing can be an effective seed cover but it needs to be anchored down in order to prevent what happened in those photos.  The straw should have had a tackifier sprayed over the top or been mechanically anchored using a crimper.  Though tacking would have worked much better on this site.

The swale is just poorly engineered.  Simple blown straw should never have been the product of chose on the steep slopes.   Either a blanket of some sort or a BFM or FGM mulch product should have been used.

In summary it was a great example of how not to seed a project. 
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline StuveXT

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: Wed April 19, 2017, 06:26:26 PM »
I don't bid against blown straw so had no idea.  The one contractor that does roadside work blows straw but it is a mess.  They blow it everywhere and then spray water over it (I am sure there is tack in the water).  Sure makes a mess and it doesn't come in very good but bet it is very cheap.

I see on commercial sites a lot of blanket, even when pretty flat.  On that swale, I would spray a mix with some EFM Pro Matrix in it making sure to spray from different directions.

* Calendar

June 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.