Main Category > Using a Hydroseeding unit for Anti-Icing, De-Icing & Liquids for Anti-Icing

Salt shortage?

(1/2) > >>

Grass Girl:
Is anyone else being affected by this salt shortage?

We have a "salt depot" in which we supply other landscapers in the area with their salting needs. However, 3 weeks ago I went to go pick up another 60 MT of salt at the dock and was told that there was a "hold" put on the salt and only the municipalities have access to it until further notice.

Well notice came.. and the verdict is ... no one is getting anymore salt this year. We have paid up front for this salt at the beginning of the season and still have no access to it. A refund cheque was written to us.

The hold on salt was first province wide, then turned country wide. We are 40 mins from the US boarder so we had 140 T shipped from Buffalo. But the news of the shortage was out .. so now our costs went from $54/T to $95/T.  The US is now "holding" salt as well .. so we can no longer get salt anywhere for the rest of the season...

Apparently we have had more severe weather than normal... and stockpiles have depleted quickly.. anything left has been held for regions and municipalities. The old supply and demand....

My question is .. how can we be refused material that we have already purchased?

BSD:

--- Quote from: Grass Girl;20385 ---.... A refund cheque was written to us. ...
My question is .. how can we be refused material that we have already purchased?
--- End quote ---
If they wrote you a check then it sounds like you're SOL.  I know a lot of areas have stopped selling to contractors/wholesalers.  You have to be a municipality to get it now.   The shortage seems to be easing up now as more is being trucked in from farther away.  A few people are speculating the salt co's are trying to mimic the fuel companies and drive the costs higher by limiting the supplies.  I doubt thats really the case, but its certainly possible.

edit, if you do get your hands on any salt you should treat it with liquid deicers to stretch it thinner.  Typically you can reduce your application rates by 50%.   No reduction in overall cost since you have to treat the salt, but you make the salt go farther

Whysod:
I have no need for salt.  But a number of years ago, a supplier sold his entire remaining stock of seed to a golf course.  Most likely for less per pound than I was paying.

I had a standing order for several bags a week from that supplier.  His short-sightedness put me out of business for several months.  Not only did I stop using that supplier, I told everyone I knew what he did.  He turned a repeat customer into an enemy.  And I guarantee you I used way more seed in a year than that golf course used.

Ever since, I buy 80% of my seed from one supplier and 20% from another.  And the one I buy 80% from knows if he ever puts me out of business like that, the other supplier will get 80% of my business, and I will be looking for another 20% supplier.

Sounds like your supplier needs a good talking to.

hydroservice:
We don't use salt but read this morning several towns have shut off residents from getting salt/sand at the town pile. Thought it was because of budget issues. Saw our town hyway foreman this am and he said they are having a hard time getting it. This winter has been more normal in terms of snowfall than it has in quite awhile and i think towns and salt suppliers just weren't ready for it. Even our schools only had 3 snowdays allowed where they used to have 5 or 6.

BSD:

--- Quote from: Whysod;20394 ---I have no need for salt.  But a number of years ago, a supplier sold his entire remaining stock of seed to a golf course.  Most likely for less per pound than I was paying.

I had a standing order for several bags a week from that supplier.  His short-sightedness put me out of business for several months.  Not only did I stop using that supplier, I told everyone I knew what he did.  He turned a repeat customer into an enemy.  And I guarantee you I used way more seed in a year than that golf course used.

Ever since, I buy 80% of my seed from one supplier and 20% from another.  And the one I buy 80% from knows if he ever puts me out of business like that, the other supplier will get 80% of my business, and I will be looking for another 20% supplier.

Sounds like your supplier needs a good talking to.
--- End quote ---
i completely understand where you're coming from but this is not just a localized problem.  This is a regional & national thing.  The ports of Albany and Troy NY have been empty for weeks. Out in the chicago area they were bone dry of salt for weeks, they finally started hauling salt out of Louisiana, West Virgina, Tennessee, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version