Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Erosion control??

Main Category > Erosion Control

Erosion control??

(1/2) > >>

Rapid Racer:
I have been watching a couple of online erosion control videos and it shows a very thick slurry when spraying banks. Over here we have been using paper to spray on bank but we have been adding lots of tackifier. We even use less mulch to make thinner mix so it doesn't roll off the slope!!!! Any thoughts anyone?????

Turboguy:
That is an interesting thought Rapid.   It makes sense to me that the thicker the mulch the more likely it would be to roll off the slopes.   I had never thought about that but most of my mixes have been slightly thinner than what is probably the same video you watched and I have never had a problem with it rolling off the slopes.   I have seeded areas that were close to vertical.

muddstopper:
Only time I have had mulch roll off of steep stuff is when I try to apply to heavy a layer in one pass. Usually, I will spray lightly with one pass, and then go back over the same area a few minutes later to build up a mulch layer. Actually, I prefer a two stepp application with a thin slurry first and then come back with just a mulch layer that contains no seed. This insures good seed to soil contact and also that all of the seed is covered in a layer of mulch. This method works extremely well on those dry fluffy areas where the mulch just wants to ball up. The wetter the slurry, the less likely the much will ballup, and once the area is wet, it makes laying down a heavier layer of mulch much easier.

Whysod:

--- Quote from: Rapid Racer;16504 ---I have been watching a couple of online erosion control videos and it shows a very thick slurry when spraying banks. Over here we have been using paper to spray on bank but we have been adding lots of tackifier. We even use less mulch to make thinner mix so it doesn't roll off the slope!!!! Any thoughts anyone?????
--- End quote ---
A couple of things come to mind.  First, too much water in the slurry will saturate the soil / shale / rock quicker and of course it will schluff-off.  (I don't even know if that's a word, but it sounds good.)   Sounds to me like you are doing it backwards.

Thin applications of a thick slurry (that means less water) with a lot of binder and some drying time between applications will allow you to build-up a pretty good layer of mulch on even really severe slopes.

But with paper mulch, that could present a problem too.  In my opinion, more than 1,500 pounds per acre of paper mulch can inhibit germination.  If your equipment can handle it, you'd most likely be better off shooting wood mulch or a mixture of wood and paper.

BLMLand:
BFM requires you to shoot in two different directions.  It is very thick because of the amount of guar and copolymer (50lbs mulch/100 gal).  BFM isn't effective until it has dried, so diluting your mix will not give you adequate protection in the required 48 hour window.  Prewetting the ground will cause the BFM to slough on steep slopes.  It is a completely different animal than straight wood of paper mulch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version