Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
coconut blanket & hydroseeding

Main Category > Erosion Control

coconut blanket & hydroseeding

(1/4) > >>

Hidrosembrador:
Hi

A little description of our next Erosion Control project:
Double net coconut blanket, 0.5lbs/yd2
Slope: until 1.5V:1H to 3V:1H
Rain: 120 inches/year -  some day at 3 inches
Soil: sandy

Which mulch will you use in these conditions? Straw, Woodmulch, or BFM.
How many lbs/acre?
Would you apply before or after the coconut blanket?
In case of a heavy application (>3000lbs/acre) under the blanket, the seeds are going to breathe enough?
What’s the impact of this strong rain on the hydroseeding application (in case of hydroseeding under the blanket)?

As you see I am submerging in lot of questions… thanks for your help

Turboguy:
As far as the choice of mulch, personally I would go with the wood or a BFM.  Perhaps if I had worked more with the straw mulch I would be more comfortable recommending it but I have heard mixed reviews on it.   You are doing things in condtions I have never worked in but I would say about 2500-3500 pounds per acre.   Probably with the coconut blanket 2500 pounds would be fine.  

I have seen guys do it both ways but if I were doing it I would probably hydroseed and then put the blanket down but some of the others have more experience with this as well so we will see what they say.

Another option you might look into is Dirt Glue.  You could proably even do a 70-30 with dirt glue and forget the blanket if you wanted but some of the others work with dirt glue more than I have.  

The seeds will breathe just fine.

Bowie Man:

--- Quote from: Turboguy;25653 ---As far as the choice of mulch, personally I would go with the wood or a BFM.  Perhaps if I had worked more with the straw mulch I would be more comfortable recommending it but I have heard mixed reviews on it.   You are doing things in condtions I have never worked in but I would say about 2500-3500 pounds per acre.   Probably with the coconut blanket 2500 pounds would be fine.  

I have seen guys do it both ways but if I were doing it I would probably hydroseed and then put the blanket down but some of the others have more experience with this as well so we will see what they say.

Another option you might look into is Dirt Glue.  You could proably even do a 70-30 with dirt glue and forget the blanket if you wanted but some of the others work with dirt glue more than I have.  

The seeds will breathe just fine.
--- End quote ---

You probably don't need to mulch at a high rate, the coconut blanket if installed properly will provide plenty of protection.  I would seed first with a thin slurry, maybe 1,000lbs of blend or wood and tack.  Then roll the coconut blanket over the top.  I have seen instances of trying to seed over the blanket ... especially if you get spotty germination with limited success.

hydroservice:
Blanket really is the mulch or takes the place of it. Whenever we use blanket we seed at the full rate, no mulch, then cover with the blanket.

Hidrosembrador:
Thanks for your answers…
I think I am going to decrease the mulch quantity.

Hydroservice, in which conditions you have applied without mulch? In similar conditions of rain and slope?

Turboguy, for the DirtGlue it will be good to try it… but our client has already bought the blanket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version