Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Finn's

Main Category > Finn Questions

Finn's

(1/2) > >>

bshake:
Has anyone had experience with Finn Hydroseeders?  I hear they are the best mechanically agitated units, but have heard of some problems as well.  Need to upgrade to a much larger machine than I have currently and need to be able to spray wood mixtures.

Thanks...Brian

Turboguy:
Hi Brian,

I sort of think different machines have different strengths and weaknesses and it is not so much a case that any unit is the best there is.    For certain applications some machines may be a little more suitable than others.  We also try to avoid product comparisons so no one gets upset.

I think though it is safe to say that Finn makes an excellent unit.  They have been around longer than anyone and are excellent in building a quality product and standing behind it.   I actually think most of the ones who also build larger mechanical units such as Bowie, Easy Lawn and Kincade also have good quailty units.  It sounds like you are leaning to the Finn.  I think if you buy it you will be happy.

muddstopper:
Most all mechanical agitated machines work on the same principle. They use paddles connected to a shaft that turn and mix the slurry. The difference is usually in the type of pump they use and the size of the engine for pulling the agitators and the pump. Pump types range from centrifical, gear, and progressive cavity.

Centrifical pumps will pump great volumes of water with adequate pressure for most adverage seeding jobs and might be a little better for long distance spraying when the tower turrent is used. Centrifical pumps ususally require a little thinner slurry when pumping thru extra long distances thru hoses because they lact the ability to maintain pressure at the spray nozzel. But they work well for normal hose work.

Gear pumps are a positive displacement pump, that is capable of pumping greater pressures but at a reduced volume. They will out perform a centrifical pump when pumping thru extral long hose because of their ability to maintain pressure with heavier slurries. The reduced volume will effect the distance that they are able to spray thru a turrent, but they do well for normal turret spraying.

Progressive Cavity pumps are also another positive displacement pump. They can produce greater pressure than a centrifical pump and better flow volumes than a gear pump. They work well for thicker slurries and long hoses and also work well for turrent work. Drawbacks are usually cost and life expectancecy. Rebuilds can be more expensive than the rebuild on either the gear or the centrifical type pump. But if you need to pump super thick slurries thru long distances of hoses, they would be the pump of choice.

Engine brands and types are always subject to personal preferences. Horsepower is the final determining factor. Machines with small engines, while they may work well for the usual jobs around homes, and for turrent work, might not have enough power to pump the slurry thru a long  hose, up a steep hill. The more the pump has to work the more horsepower that is neccisary to pump the slurry. For this reason, and if you anticipate having to perform this type of seeding, you would be better off getting the bigger engine option on your hydroseeder.
Another option for seeding thru long hoses, if you find your machine just wont pump it where you want it, would be to place another pump in your hoseline. A good trash pump placed in the line will act as a booster pump and will increase the distances that you can pump or spray.

ProLawn:
Hi Muddstopper,

You got me thinking, I plan on buying a T60 trailered Finn.  You were saying that you could put a trash pump in your line to increase the pumping distance.  Where could I place it?  Could I put a 50 100 or 150 foot hose and then place the trash pump and then more hose.  Where would be the best location to have my trash pump for best results?

Thanks

Pro

muddstopper:
I would put it at the end of my first section of hose and before the last section. The whole purpose of using a second pump would be to increase the distance that you would be able to pump. Placing it close to the machine wouldnt help you any or just very little in increasing distance that you could pump. I havent actually tried this myself, but was told by a good source that this should work. I do intend on trying it when the situation dictates. With a new Finn you shouldnt need the extra pumping power even at 150 ft unless you where pumping almost straight up. Which is what I have to do a lot of and is the reason I am going to try the additional pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version