Main Category > Epic or Easy Lawn Hydroseeing Equipment

Pump rebuild

<< < (3/7) > >>

Wildcatworth:
Muddstopper, thanx, it sounds like it might be a suction problem, that makes sense.  That would probably be the easiest fix, but the info on the pump is helpful also.  I have had the unit 3 years, and hydroseed part time (about 100 tanks mixed and sprayed per year), and have only used granular 19-19-19 this season.  Should I be having pump problems, or is that something that could go any time?

Turboguy:
Hi Worth,
I think Muddstopper gave you some great info.   My guess is that after 300 tanks +/-  I would not normally expect to see any appreciable pump wear with what you are using.  I am not saying it is impossible but I think I would look at the suction line first and look for pump damage second.

turborob:
Hello Wildcat,

The pump could be a Barnes pump as I have had other customers searching for the origin of this pump.  They are located somewhere in the mid-west.  I should have a phone number for you in a few days.  You might want to also check your suction flange gasket or flapper gasket located usually in (behind) the bottom inlet (suction) port inside a square box.  It could also cause priming problems in the pump if it was torn or totally gone (passed through the impeller.)  But also mudstopper's advice would be the first thing to check, a clogged or leaking suction line would hamper the pump from self-priming. ;)

turborob:
Hello Wild Cat,

Call this number and ask for Phil.  It is most likely a Barnes pump, manufactured in Canada.  I guess if you email this guy pics or give him casting numbers he can get parts for you at a good price.

Pump Systems, Inc.
PO Drawer 1940
530 25th Ave. E
Dickinson, ND 58601
(800) 437-8076 - (701) 225-4494
Fax (701) 225-0320

muddstopper:
The suction gasket, if it was letting the pump suck air could cause the problem but just because the flapper is gone doesnt mean it will not pump. The flapper is only there to keep water from draining back out of the pump and into the tank. Whenever you are pumping it is completely open anyways. I actually took the flapper out of my pump so I could pump water back thru the suction line in the event of a clogg. Unless your pump is higher than the tank, water will run into the pump whenever you are filling the tank and prime the pump so I see no reason to have the flapper valve installed. It also lets me place mulch in my tank before water because I can pump the water into the tank by hooking up my little pump to my machine pump and pump water backwards thru the machine pump and suction hose and into the tank that way. Water flowing backward thru the suction hose will push any mulch or fertilizer, that may have gotten into the hose and cause a clogg, into the tank. It also lets me use my spray hose to fill my tank if my water source is to far away to use the rollup firehose that came with my little pump. Of course filling you tank this way when hooked to a city fire hydrant is frowned upon because of not haveing some sort of back flow preventer in the line. But I have yet to hook to a hydrant so I dont have to worry about it but, I usually only do this to clear a clogged suction and normally fill from the top of the tank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version