Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Help! Hydroseed lawn growing in with large patches. Underwatered?

collapse

Author Topic: Help! Hydroseed lawn growing in with large patches. Underwatered?  (Read 413 times)

Offline kns5024

We had our lawn hydroseeded on June 3rd. The company that did it advised keeping it watered down but only morning and night with heavier watering in the morning and lighter watering at night as to not create disease issues. We were advised not to water in the middle of the day so that we don't burn the seed, so we have been doing 30-40 minutes before 8AM and 15-20 minutes at 6pm.

We have a mix of shade and sun on our property. In the areas where we have shade we are seeing decent ground cover, but the areas that are in direct sunlight for most of the day are not growing in at all. The days since watering we experienced high temps for our area (Milwaukee, WI). Constant sun, 80-90 degree temps with no rain since May and no rain in the forecast. A lot of the surface appears dried out by noon daily and what is growing is coming in extremely patchy with large segments showing no growth at all (see pictures) except for weeds which are rampant everywhere.

What adjustments can/should we make to fix this? Is it possible that the the seed died because we didn't water enough? Do we need to wait longer since the area is drying out quicker with the amount of direct sun? Should we start watering more often during the day to keep the area moist? Do we need to put more seed down?

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Help! Hydroseed lawn growing in with large patches. Underwatered?
« Reply #1 on: Wed June 16, 2021, 06:00:58 PM »
I would suggest just giving it a little more time.  I have often seen jobs where the grass comes up faster in areas where it gets shade or in areas where there is a dip.  The shady areas and dips hold moisture longer.  My own recommendation would be to water more often but lighter.  I would suggest 10-15 min at 8 am, 11am, 3:30 pm and 6pm.  In areas in the open sun and where the wind blows it can dry out quickly and seed needs to stay moist to germinate.  I do think if you stay with what you are doing and give it another week or two you may be fine.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline kns5024

« Reply #2 on: Thu June 17, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply! We have adjusted our watering schedule and hope to see better results in the areas with no grass growth. I will probably check back in in a few weeks if we aren't successful. The question then is do we need to reseed in those areas that aren't growing. It would be about 1/3 of our property that has an issue so its not as simple as waiting until fall to overseed and hope for fuller growth.
« Last Edit: Thu June 17, 2021, 04:06:57 PM by kns5024 »

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #3 on: Fri June 18, 2021, 04:02:20 PM »
I would give it a few more weeks.  If it isn't up then you might have to reseed.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline kns5024

« Reply #4 on: Tue June 29, 2021, 01:38:17 PM »
Thanks so much for all of your help Turboguy! Any recommendations on fertilizing? We've had some success with the empty spots starting to fill in. Our neighbor suggested we fertilize. A starter fertilizer was put down initially. We plan to mow the grass for the first time at around the 30 day mark (this weekend). Do you recommend fertilizing and if so, what type of fertilizer/when?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #5 on: Thu July 01, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
Different people have different ideas about fertilizing.   I would suggest using a high nitrogen fertilizer which will thicken your lawn and turn the grass a darker green.   You probably know that the nitrogen is the first number on the three numbers that are listed on fertilizer.   Something like Scott's Turf Builder but not the Turf Builder Plus that has week killer in it.

I would suggest applying it a little lighter than they recommend.   For example if they say to set your spreader at 5 then set it at 4 or 4 1/2.  Anytime after your first mowing should be fine but I would not wait any more than 2 weeks.  It's better not to fertilize in the hottest part of summer which should not be for a few weeks.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

* Recent Posts

Re: T330 recirculation Valve replacement by hydroservice
[Thu October 14, 2021, 08:13:43 AM]

Re: T330 recirculation Valve replacement by Turboguy
[Wed October 13, 2021, 12:17:16 PM]

Re: T330 recirculation Valve replacement by conc2steel
[Tue October 12, 2021, 05:16:20 PM]

Re: T330 recirculation Valve replacement by Turboguy
[Tue October 12, 2021, 05:03:40 PM]

T330 recirculation Valve replacement by conc2steel
[Mon October 11, 2021, 03:25:43 PM]