Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Hydromulching a sand quarry

collapse

Author Topic: Hydromulching a sand quarry  (Read 1306 times)

Offline HP Hydromulching

Hydromulching a sand quarry
« on: Mon November 08, 2021, 02:11:20 AM »
Hi I am located near Newcastle Australia and have a large job to Hydromulching a sand quarry but can?t find a seed mix which will work. Any suggestions please

Online Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Hydromulching a sand quarry
« Reply #1 on: Mon November 08, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »
Hello HP.   Typically the best grasses to grow on sand are tall fescue, Bermuda or Zoysia.   Another option would be to spray something like Biotic Earth which is a soil substitute that can be sprayed through a hydroseeder.   

Of course I have never tried to buy seed in Australia but here tall fescues are pretty common and they are very deep rooted.  One of the problems with seeding in sand is that sand tends to not hold moisture well so the deep roots let the plant reach deeper below the surface for water.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline HP Hydromulching

« Reply #2 on: Mon November 08, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
Hi Turboguy, thanks for the info. I tried our usual rehabilitation mix which contains Rye, Rhodes grass, Paspalum, Bermuda grass, Haifa, wooly vetch, and clover with some fertiliser, tackifier and our hydro straw mulch and only had a bit of the cover crop oats come through. Then tried a load with Bermuda grass, rye, and fescue in it a couple of weeks ago with nothing coming through yet. We haven?t had a lot of rain yet and as we are coming into late spring at the moment things are starting to warm up with more rain but need to get some coverage soon for the client. Cheers
« Last Edit: Tue November 09, 2021, 04:14:51 AM by HP Hydromulching »

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: Wed November 10, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
We did a few jobs on real sandy soils using warm season grasses. switchgrass & buffalo blue stem to name a few. the plants grew but it did not look anything like a lawn
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline HP Hydromulching

« Reply #4 on: Fri November 19, 2021, 05:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback hydroservice. We are just looking for a stabilisation coverage which only needs to last about 12 - 18 months as it is going to be redeveloped in the future. Doesn?t need to look like a lawn but anything which is guaranteed to give a guaranteed coverage of vegetation is the council requirement. Unsure if the species you mentioned are available here but gonna make a few calls to see what I can get along those lines. Thanks

* Recent Posts

Re: should I upgrade my turfmaker? by hunthydroseedinggroup
[Wed January 12, 2022, 03:45:09 AM]

Re: should I upgrade my turfmaker? by Turboguy
[Sat January 08, 2022, 06:18:19 PM]

Re: Want my new lawn to succeed, looking for any suggestions! Thanks by Frank223
[Sat January 08, 2022, 08:50:05 AM]

should I upgrade my turfmaker? by arhymer101
[Fri January 07, 2022, 11:55:01 AM]

Re: Having Trouble Getting Supplies by Turboguy
[Fri January 07, 2022, 07:11:47 AM]

* Calendar

January 2022
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29