Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Great add on business

collapse

Author Topic: Great add on business  (Read 12785 times)

Offline muddstopper

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
Great add on business
« on: Tue November 15, 2005, 05:09:43 PM »
For those looking for a way to increase the profits and fill in those lost hours when they are not hydroseeding, dust control might be worth you looking into. If you own a hydroseeder, you already have the equipment.
"To provide knowledge, service and help without bias to those with an interest in our industry"

Online Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
dust control
« Reply #1 on: Tue November 15, 2005, 06:05:13 PM »
I think you are right Muddstopper.    I am not meaning to tread on Durasoils threads but if someone wants to consider this we have booms that would work with most anyones unit and we also have a set up for in cab controls and the cost is not bad at all.  

We have a lot of different configurations but for a ball park idea booms start at about $ 395 for one lane and $ 895.00 for three lane.  In cab controllers start at $ 385.00 and run to about two grand for a unit that senses your speed with gps and speeds up, slows down or stops the flow depending on your ground speed.   Hopefully this might help someone be aware of how inexpensivly you can get into this add on business.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline MikeW

• Sr. Forum Member
    • www.mmhydroseed.com
Dust Control
« Reply #2 on: Tue November 15, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »
I have done a couple of long gravel driveways, and one large project.  All turned out pretty well, I'm still working with the mixes to see what works the best.  But had pretty good luck during the drought that we had this past summer.  I'm looking forward to doing more next summer.
M&M Hydroseeding
Helping the grass grow under their feet!

Turbo Turf HYBRID  HY-500-HE

Offline JJ's Services

• Forum Guru
    • http://www.JJsServices.net
Great add on business
« Reply #3 on: Tue November 15, 2005, 09:22:46 PM »
Mike what do u use for a mix calcium chloride in bagged form than make your own liquid or something else.  What do you charge per square foot or square yard roughly.

Offline JJ's Services

• Forum Guru
    • http://www.JJsServices.net
Great add on business
« Reply #4 on: Tue November 15, 2005, 09:23:45 PM »
Turbo I looked into the anti icing last year with the boom setups how quick can one change from the boom setup back to seeding on say a 500 eh model.

Online Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
change time
« Reply #5 on: Wed November 16, 2005, 09:36:20 AM »
Oh, somewhere between one  to ten minutes.   If you are not moving the machine you have to change one quick coupler and take off the boom.   If you are taking the machine out of the back of your truck and putting it on a trailer, ten minutes.

The booms slide into the hitch receiver on your truck.  They are adjustable for height so if you have a low truck and a high one you can set it for either in minutes.    You have a controller for the cab which most people just pass the wire through the window.  You have the one quick coupler that you plug in where you normally plug in your hose.   All you have to do is switch back to your hose and pull the pin on the boom and take it off.

We do have several different boom options.   The most popular is our turret boom.   It has 3 nozzles on a turret on the boom and you just dial in the nozzle you want.   For anti iciing you might like one straight nozzle for breaking through ice, one low speed fan and one higher speed fan.   You can also rotate them half way and that shuts them off so if you want to just do the tire tracks to save material you can turn off the other ones in seconds.   We also have a swivel nozzle boom and a flood jet type boom   The Flood jet boom is the best one with the gps controller and might be the best one for someone only doing dust control.  Hope this helps.   For anyone doing dust control the Durasoil product looks really amazing to me.    I think Rick opened some eyes at the IAHP meeting in CT.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline Whysod

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Phoenix, AZ
    • http://www.whysod.com
Great add on business
« Reply #6 on: Wed November 16, 2005, 10:19:33 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for noticing Desert Mountain's participation in the IAHP websiteso quickly.  In the next couple of days a couple of Desert Mountain's Soil Stabilization and Ice Melt experts will most likely join the forum.  They have had many years of experience and can offer some real expert advice.  In the meantime, you might want to check-out two of the products Desert Mountain distributes:

Soiltac can be described as Elmer's glue for soil.  At very light application rates it can be used as a takifier for hydroseeding mulch.  Combined with PAM and organic binders, it can give the mulch you already use BFM-like qualities.  It can provide medium and long-term dust control for construction sites, dirt roads and driveways.  At heavy application rates, it can provide up to 80% of the strength of concrete.  Best of all, it works incredibly well in hydroseeding machines.

Durasoil is an incredible synthetic organic dust control fluid that can also be applied with a hydroseeding machine.   Check-out Durasoil's website for some suggested uses for this product.

And Ray, thanks for the kind words.  I think it's great that you manufacture spray booms that make it easy to apply these products to parking lots, roads and large flat areas.  But it should be pointed out that they can easily be sprayed with a hose or cannon hydroseeders already own.  

Rick Hardy, Desert Mountain Corp.
Rick Hardy, Nature's Way HydroSeeding, Phoenix, AZ.,
Specilizing in residential size lawns since 1992.
300 gal Finn T-30 with 250 gallon Nurse tank.

Offline MikeW

• Sr. Forum Member
    • www.mmhydroseed.com
Dust Conrol
« Reply #7 on: Thu November 17, 2005, 12:49:31 PM »
JJ   I was experimenting with it, and was happy to find that I was able to use tac and water in the tank by itself and was able to have some pretty good success.  I was still experimenting with amounts of tac, along with different manufacturers, as the dry (drought) period ended here in Michigan. I was trying to stay away from the chlorides if I could as I didn't want to cause any additional corrosion issues with the TT 300EH that I have.  The largest project that I did was a newly cut road for a neighbor of mine that went back thru the woods for about a mile and a half.  He had to have just a huge amount of sand brought in as well, due to mud when he started. Dried mud and sand and topsoil that was exposed created just clouds of dust for his neighbors.  I made a boom and mounted it on the back of my 6 x 10' trailer, and did it that way, did the job. He also had a small lake that I was able to fill from, ( 4 minutes fill time ) which made it very quick.  I'm going to look into the Durasoil products for next year.  

As far as charging, I wasn't real sure how to go about that... so I charged by the tank load. The roads that I covered were pretty wide, and irregular, and also have been spraying all around his home construction area.  I do alot of work for this individual, tractor work, hydroseeding, etc.  with the hydroseeding often being very split up, and erratic as far as the area that he wanted covered, that is where I came up with the tank load pricing for him. I allow him to dictate where he wants it sprayed, (parts of the yard overseeding and repair) many of these areas would be very difficult to measure. We both seem to get what we need, and are both happy.  Let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.  I still have a lot to learn on both the hydroseeding and dust control ends, and am open to any suggestions. I will try to get over and take a photo or two of the area that I was doing for him.  Has been raining/snowing now.. but can at least get an idea of the size of the project.
Mike
M&M Hydroseeding
Helping the grass grow under their feet!

Turbo Turf HYBRID  HY-500-HE

Offline muddstopper

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
Great add on business
« Reply #8 on: Thu November 17, 2005, 03:41:26 PM »
Rick, maybe you can give us a little pricing info on the Durasoil products. I think I can find a market for dust control around my area. I am also interested in the product as a tackifier in my hydroseedering slurry.  To bad we dont get enough snow to worry about the icecontrol products.
"To provide knowledge, service and help without bias to those with an interest in our industry"

Rick Hardy

Great add on business
« Reply #9 on: Mon November 21, 2005, 11:44:45 PM »
Muddstopper, I'd pefer not to get too much into pricing here in an open forum for a lot of reasons.  My Desert Mountain cell phone  number is 480-459-1333.  Give me a call and we'll discuss it.

In my earlier post I should have included a link to the Desert Mountain Corporation website.  They have several other dust control products that might be of value to hydroseeders, and there's an interesting Power Point presentation on dust control on the website.  Even though it primarily talks about road building, it's quite informative.

This afternoon, I dropped by Soilworks Corporate Office to pick-up some brochures.  They gave me a half-bag of their new powdered version of Soiltac.  I'm going to try it as a binder on the next few front yards I plant.  I can see some other real interesting possibilities with dry or liquid Soiltac.  For instance, every couple of years I've been hired to spray a poor man's version of BFM (heavy mulch and tack) over 112,000 s/f of  contaminated soil in 4' high windrows that are about 6' apart and about 500' long.  (Of course the customer isn't willing to pay for BFM.)  This stuff should out preform any BFM on the market for that purpose.

For you guys who do erosion control on roadsides, these products have some real obvious advantages over mulch and seed with conventional takifiers.  According to Soiltac, it won't inhibit germination, even at fairly heavy rates.  At times when it's too cold to germinate seed, this stuff can prevent erosion all by itself.   And that brings to mind some real opportunities for dormant seed applications and perhaps even applications without seed.  (Like that big pile of contaminated soil...)

For dirt roads themselves, Durasoil or some of Desert Mountain's other products might be more appropriate.

Offline muddstopper

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
Great add on business
« Reply #10 on: Tue November 22, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »
Rick, Roadsides and constructions sites are exactly what I had in mind. I am really interested in  temporary erosion control. On some sites I get requests for hydroseeding even tho they plan on dozing the areas up a few weeks after the seeding has been done. There are a couple of sites close to me that I have been asked to seed that I know will be torn up by spring. It just seems a waste to me to have to charge for adding seed and fertilizer on a site I already know will never see grass. Still the hydroseeding satisfies the EPA and is really the only option my customers have been given, not just by me, but by other hydroseeding operators as well. Being able to provide an alternative should gererate more revenue for me as well as fill a ninch in my area. I will view the Power Point presentation and give you a call.

Rick Hardy

Great add on business
« Reply #11 on: Tue November 22, 2005, 12:33:03 AM »
That's exactly what I've been talking about.  If I weren't so burned-out on dragging hoses around, I could make a heck of a lot of money here in the Phoenix area specializing in small job soil stabilization and dust control.

I can't imagine those same opportunities to create high-profit margin niche markets (that set you apart from your your competitors) don't exist in just about every other community in the Nation (and perhaps the world).

Offline muddstopper

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
Great add on business
« Reply #12 on: Tue November 22, 2005, 08:47:51 AM »
Rick, having trouble with the powerpoint link you provided. Is the powerpoint presentation not set up as a .ppg file enableing anybody to view it. Anyways, I have downloaded it and will transfer it to a computer that has powerpoint on it.

Rick Hardy

Great add on business
« Reply #13 on: Tue November 22, 2005, 08:55:59 AM »
Muddstopper, it takes a long time to load, even with a high speed cable connection so it's probably better to save it to disk first.

Offline muddstopper

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
Great add on business
« Reply #14 on: Tue November 22, 2005, 02:46:17 PM »
Yea, It took a while for me to download using dialup. I saved it to my hard drive but I cant get it to open because I dont have powerpoint on my laptop. I did have powerpoint on my desktop but the monitor failed and I scraped the whole thing. Its cheaper to buy a new computer now than to just buy a monitor. At anyrate, I saved the harddrive and plan on installing it as as second drive in the wifes disktop, until then I guess I will just have to wait to see the presentation.

* Recent Posts

Re: should I upgrade my turfmaker? by hunthydroseedinggroup
[Wed January 12, 2022, 03:45:09 AM]

Re: should I upgrade my turfmaker? by Turboguy
[Sat January 08, 2022, 06:18:19 PM]

Re: Want my new lawn to succeed, looking for any suggestions! Thanks by Frank223
[Sat January 08, 2022, 08:50:05 AM]

should I upgrade my turfmaker? by arhymer101
[Fri January 07, 2022, 11:55:01 AM]

Re: Having Trouble Getting Supplies by Turboguy
[Fri January 07, 2022, 07:11:47 AM]

* Calendar

January 2022
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29