Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/hydroseeding.org/public_html/jcms/forum/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Qestion about the pump on my TM 60

collapse

Author Topic: Qestion about the pump on my TM 60  (Read 7841 times)

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
Qestion about the pump on my TM 60
« on: Fri February 05, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
I have a TM-60 with an hpv 5 pump and a 13 hp briggs on it.  It runs and works but both are getting tired.  I would like to upgrade to a 22hp robins.  I called easy lawn and they said this was possible using my pump, just changing the impeller, valoute ect.  They said that with out changing these thing and just putting an bigger engine on it would not make a bit of difference in the performance.  I went to New England Grows today and spoke with a guy selling easy lawns and he said just go to a larger engine and I would notice a huge difference.  He said that he did not think it was necessary to mess with anything inside the pump.  Easy Lawns quote for all of the parts and engine was over $3,000, just the engine is around 1,200.  I know that in time I would probably be better changing everything over,  just looking for other opinions.  Also does anyone know if you can get parts for easy lawns pumps from any one other than easy lawn?  Thanks.
Easy Lawn TM-60

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Qestion about the pump on my TM 60
« Reply #1 on: Fri February 05, 2010, 04:17:11 PM »
I can't help you with the question about the parts availability but I might be able to explain the advice you got that was a little contradictory.    Swapping out the engine alone will increase the performance a bit but not a lot.  The RPM of the engines is going to be about the same and so you would be turning the same impeller at the same RPM and it is going to have the same output.  Why that isn't totally true is that the larger engine would likely bog down a little less and it might in real life turn the impeller just a bit faster.   Going to the larger impeller would have you moving much more fluid and would have the greatest effect on performance. 

EasyGrass might be able to help on the parts supply.  I remember that Easy Lawns pumps are made in Ohio and my best guess is Barnes makes them but I could be wrong on that.  It might be possible to get parts from the pump manufactuerer but that is something I can only guess at.  I do recall that who made thier pumps came up before but finding that thread would be tougher than prodding my overcroweded and underused memory.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline easygrass

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
  • Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #2 on: Fri February 05, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
"Quote"  from Rocket on a post about Easy Lawn pumps.

"If I remember it is Crane Pumps out of Piqua, Ohio. They make Crane, Barnes and Deming brands."

As far as upgrading to bigger engine that would be fine , but if your impeller is worn out you need to replace it.
and by changing the Volute and impeller you will get better performance and with out upgrading to bigger engine.
« Last Edit: Fri February 05, 2010, 04:43:38 PM by easygrass »
" awareness of the environment through a physical sensation "

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: Fri February 05, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
Thanks.  I would like to upgrade both but just don't want to spend the 3 grand.  I'll have to start searching and see if I can find the parts cheeper than getting them from easy lawn.
Easy Lawn TM-60

Offline SimplyGreen

• Forum Legend
    • http://www.simplygreenhydroseed.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat February 06, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
PL. how many hours do you have on the motor?

And also, have you shimmed the pump ? replaced the impellar?

Talking with Dan last week at east lawn, he from what i understand, its very likly shimming is needed anytime you replace the impellar or vulute.

My smaller machine, the L90. has like 400 hours on it, and that motor runs as stong as the day i got it..
The pump on the other hand, could really use some help, I am pretty sure i need to shime it correctly...
Simply Green Hydroseed
New Hampshire and Southern Maine and Mass
Account manager and Applicator of DirtGlue
Easy Lawn L90(900gal)
Easy lawn C125 Mounted to International 4700
WWW.SIMPLYGREENHYDROSEED.COM

Offline rocket

« Reply #5 on: Sat February 06, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
May I recommend taking apart the pump and inspecting the volute and impellor. If they look ok you may only need to upgrade your engine to a 20 hp Briggs and reshim the pump. Look for chips and scars on the surfaces. If they look good, reshim.  The backing plates for the Robin Subaru engine are different. This is why it would cost so much for parts to change engines. I would stick with the Briggs if possible. Good Luck.

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: Sun February 07, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »
I don't know how many hours are on either the motor or pump because I bought it used.  Since I owned it I have probably run 5 pallets of mulch through it.  I have never opened up the pump and inspected it so I guess that would be my first step to see whats going on.  I am fairly mechanically inclined and do most repairs myself, but pumps are new to me and I would rather have some knowledge before I get into it.
Easy Lawn TM-60

Offline SimplyGreen

• Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: Sun February 07, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
well here is a question for you..
what type of mulch are you running thru it.?

An issue i use to run into was very simple, if you let material stay in the tank over night or long peroid of time, it would dry up and clog the impeller, therfor greatly killing your pressure..

You might want to open that bad boy up, take a look, and while your at it, check to see if you need to shime it ...

Simply Green Hydroseed
Easy Lawn L90(900gal)

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: Sun February 07, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
I've been running mostly 70/30 with a little paper to thicken it up.  I know it was clogged real bad at the end of the season because it simply stopped spraying, it was so bad I could hardly even pull the motor over and it would not start.  I took the motor off and cleaned all of the mulch out of the suction end but I could not get the pump apart to clean out the back of it.  The guy at the grows show said I would need to go around with a screwdriver or flat chisel and hammer it until the case came apart.  When I tried this fall I could not make it budge and I was to hungover to keep trying with out breaking something so I stopped.  However just from unclogging the front of the impeller the machine acted like it was a different machine.  It was slowly getting worse and worse so I never realize how bad it really was until I cleaned it.  I clean the pump after ever use but never looked inside.  Next season I will be opening it up much more frequently.  After cleaning it the machine mixed better than it had since I got it but I still think the bigger motor would make a huge difference.
Easy Lawn TM-60

Offline SimplyGreen

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: Sun February 07, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
running 70/30 and paper to thicken it up?
How many bales of 70/30 are you putting in your tank? and about how much paper to thinkin up?

if you ever need assistance on ripping that pump apart let me know.. I am in NH, and i know how to take both my machines apart in about 25 minutes max.
Simply Green Hydroseed
Easy Lawn L90(900gal)

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: Sun February 07, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »
I usually run 3 to 4 bales of 70/30 and 1-2 of paper.  If I try to run all 70/30 I seem to have more problems with clogging.  All I really need to figure out on the pump right now is how to split the case on the side where the motor is attached.  It must be all rusted together and I don't want to break any thing prying it appart.  I have not taken off the machine and brought it into my shop yet.  My shops a mess with other winter repair projects and every time I go out to the machine it's cold and I lose my motivation. 
Easy Lawn TM-60

* Recent Posts

Re: should I upgrade my turfmaker? by hunthydroseedinggroup
[Wed January 12, 2022, 03:45:09 AM]

Re: should I upgrade my turfmaker? by Turboguy
[Sat January 08, 2022, 06:18:19 PM]

Re: Want my new lawn to succeed, looking for any suggestions! Thanks by Frank223
[Sat January 08, 2022, 08:50:05 AM]

should I upgrade my turfmaker? by arhymer101
[Fri January 07, 2022, 11:55:01 AM]

Re: Having Trouble Getting Supplies by Turboguy
[Fri January 07, 2022, 07:11:47 AM]

* Calendar

January 2022
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29