collapse

Author Topic: Deicing roofs??  (Read 12851 times)

Offline sonic340

• Forum Member
Deicing roofs??
« on: Wed February 24, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »
OK, this may sound stupid, but I have a question.  I was thinking of trying some deicing/anti-icing with my hydro next winter and it got me thinking about all these ice jams and snow loads on commercial roofs around here.  I'm in ND and there have been companies shoveling snow from roofs and using manlifts and whatnot to remove snow and ice.  Has anyone used liquids to try and solve this problem?  I'm also a commercial pilot and having been deiced with the airlines it got me thinking about trying this process or perhaps using heated fluid/water mix like the way they deice airplanes and trying to get it to slide right off.

I know it probably sounds like a dumb idea but just wondering guys.  Thanks for any input.

Offline Ultimate

• Forum Member
  • Finn Titan-330, Serving PA, OH, WV
Re: Deicing roofs??
« Reply #1 on: Thu February 25, 2010, 12:38:32 AM »
Don't know anything about using a hydroseeder for deicing roofs. but I have some experience as to using a ground thaw unit to melt the snow off of a third story roof that was endanger of collapsing with the help of my lift truck.  The money was great and the customer was happy to keep his roof in place.  I tried to upload a picture of the process with no success.  Good Luck in your new adventure!
Ultimate Landscaping, LLC
www.ultimatelandscapingllc.com

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #2 on: Thu February 25, 2010, 06:30:04 AM »
That is an interesting thought.  Most years that has not been a big problem here but these past storms are a little different.  We have lots of roof damage around here, lots of trees down, and lots of gutters hanging or laying where they should not be. 

Ultimate, If you want to email the photo to me I can post it for you or if it would not post because of size I can reduce it and send it back.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: Thu February 25, 2010, 08:51:58 AM »
As with any Ice melting product it will work at the right temperature. If you could find something environmentally acceptable it would probably work. Interesting question.
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Lush Lawns

• Sr. Forum Member
  • Location: Planet Earth, binary solar system, Milky Way Galaxy
  • Harshaw, WI
    • Lush Lawns Hydro Seeding
« Reply #4 on: Thu February 25, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »
OK, this may sound stupid, but I have a question.  I was thinking of trying some deicing/anti-icing with my hydro next winter and it got me thinking about all these ice jams and snow loads on commercial roofs around here.  I'm in ND and there have been companies shoveling snow from roofs and using manlifts and whatnot to remove snow and ice.  Has anyone used liquids to try and solve this problem?  I'm also a commercial pilot and having been deiced with the airlines it got me thinking about trying this process or perhaps using heated fluid/water mix like the way they deice airplanes and trying to get it to slide right off.

I know it probably sounds like a dumb idea but just wondering guys.  Thanks for any input.

Run this idea by your insurance agent and get a liability coverage quote for a real eye opener. You may very well decide to skip it after that.
Mark Felder
Lush Lawns Hydroseeding

http://lushlawns.mfllc.biz/

Offline sonic340

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: Thu February 25, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
Yeah the insurance thought is a concern and worth checking into.  I would like to see a pic of using the ground thaw unit though if you get a chance.  I might have to bribe the local airport ground crew to rent me their deice truck someday to try this out and see if it's even feasible.  They have trucks with tank heaters that heat the fluid to 160 degrees but they use a glycol mix which is not conducive to this type of application versus an ice melter of some sort.  Thanks for the input guys!

Offline MarksTLC

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Organics Rule!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Fri February 26, 2010, 03:45:40 PM »
My thoughts would be that the deicing of an airplane does not leave puddles of liquid standing on the wings, flaps, tail section, etc. And you are not really dealing with an ice jam, just a coating to be blown off by the deicing fluid. I think if there was already an ice jam on the roof, you would have quite a mess, with no where for the liquid to go. Hitting it prior to a storm, may give some assistance in keeping the drains open, but You are still faced with actual removal of the snow and ice afterward. Just my $.02
Marks Total Lawn Care
Turbo Turf HY-500-HE Hybrid
100% Organic Seeding
2011 & 2012 IAHP President

Offline Genisis

« Reply #7 on: Sat February 27, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
For some reason I was thinking of this very thing the other day - why I do not know since we don't have any snow this year (we had 96" last year).  As I thought through it I remember roof collapses when the deep snow was weighted with rain - and thought the application of liquid deice would have the same effect.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #8 on: Sun February 28, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »
Here is the picture.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline sonic340

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: Sun February 28, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
That is an interesting picture!  As far as the deicing of ice jams and snow, I was referring to sloped metal roofs not flat ones and with the application of heated deicer applied at the peak and allowed to bleed downhill.  That way everything would simply slide off the edge and then you have the big mess to clean up below.  There are a lot of those types of roofs around here with some pretty severe snowpack and ice built up this year.

Offline SpeedyGreenInc

• Forum Guru
  • High Performance Hydroseeding Products
« Reply #10 on: Sun February 28, 2010, 08:31:17 PM »
You could pretreat the roofs with magic liquid which is non corrosive and that would prevent the snow from sticking to the metal roof, that may be the best bet rather then trying to melt a foot of snow thats packed on there.
Speedy Green Inc.

IAHP Vice President
Applegate Mulch Distributor
Innovative Turf Solutions Additives Distributor
Pennington Seed Distributor

Watertown, New York
speedygreeninc@gmail.com
www.predicttheendoftheworld.com

Offline MarksTLC

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Organics Rule!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sun February 28, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »
That is an interesting picture!  As far as the deicing of ice jams and snow, I was referring to sloped metal roofs not flat ones and with the application of heated deicer applied at the peak and allowed to bleed downhill.  That way everything would simply slide off the edge and then you have the big mess to clean up below.  There are a lot of those types of roofs around here with some pretty severe snowpack and ice built up this year.

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Good luck with that. It may be an as of yet untapped source of income... :)
Marks Total Lawn Care
100% Organic Seeding

Offline muddstopper

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: Tue February 01, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
I know this is a year old, but I was wondering how this project turned out. Did anybody ever try it?
"To provide knowledge, service and help without bias to those with an interest in our industry"

Offline MarksTLC

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Organics Rule!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Wed February 02, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
Sorry to say, the metal roofs around here don't need deicing. If there is any build up, it slides off before too long.

I have used my TT to lay down Magic-0 on my drive and sidewalk. As it turns out, my drive and walk are not big enough to warrant the use of the unit. I went to a backpack sprayer and have done fine with that. I have done a commercial lot twice with the TT unit and it performed flawlessly.  However, hauling the trailer back and forth in winter time is not a lot of fun. If I ever manage to get a truck big enough to mount the unit in, I think that would be a much better setup for year-round usage..
Marks Total Lawn Care
100% Organic Seeding

* Recent Posts

Re: Wood Fiber TT 300 XPW by Turboguy
[Wed November 16, 2022, 08:24:45 PM]

Re: Wood Fiber TT 300 XPW by dementor4842
[Wed November 16, 2022, 12:18:45 PM]

Re: Wood Fiber TT 300 XPW by Turboguy
[Wed November 16, 2022, 11:34:39 AM]

Re: Wood Fiber TT 300 XPW by dementor4842