collapse

Author Topic: Help with new lawn - How much topsoil to bring in for prep before hydro-seed?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline m5rovic

I got a quote to grade yard, add 50 yards of topsoil and apply hydro-seed with 19-19-19 slow release fertilizer (60% Kentucky Bluegrass, 20% Creeping Red Fescue, and 20% Perennial Rye at 10# per 1000 sq ft).  Mix also to include Hydromulch at 500# per 10,000 sq ft with tackfiller.

Area to seed is new construction, around 16,000 sq feet and the soil has lots of clay.  Location is south east Michigan.  My first concern is if the amount of topsoil will be enough to prep the area of this size?   Other quotes I received to install sod had listed 75-100 yards of top soil for the prep. 

Is there anything else in the quote that I should be concerned about?  Thank you for your time.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Help with new lawn - How much topsoil to bring in for prep before hydro-seed?
« Reply #1 on: Thu August 30, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
Well since a yard of topsoil will cover 324 sq. ft. at a depth of 1" that 50 yards of topsoil would be pretty close to 1" everywhere.  50 yards of topsoil calculates to 16,200 sq. ft. at 1 inch depth and you have 16K.   Before I talk more about topsoil I want to talk about the other spec's.

His specifications on hydroseeding are outstanding.   The mulch application rate is nice and heavy and heavier than what I do on residential seeding.   His seed rate is also nice and heavy.  The seed mix I use is similar but has less blue grass and more rye.  The mix is heavy on Bluegrass and the seed companies recommend 4 pounds per 1000 on blue grass which is a small seed and the seed count per pound is much higher than rye.  I am usually around 8-9 pounds per 1000 and he is 10 with a finer seed so all in all his spec's for hydroseeding are first class.

Coming back to the top soil.  I don't think 1" is outstanding but probably acceptable.  Your subsoil is going to be clay and we have a lot of clay here that I have seeded on directly with good results.  My feeling are similar to yours.  A little more topsoil would not be a bad move but that 1" is probably enough to give good results.   
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline m5rovic

Re: Help with new lawn - How much topsoil to bring in for prep before hydro-seed?
« Reply #2 on: Thu August 30, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
Thank you very much for your response Turboguy.  I am glad to hear his specs on the quote are very good.

I was hoping to finish other parts of the landscape/hardscape myself before the irrigation and hydro-seed is installed.  Would end of September or early October still be acceptable time frame to hydro-seed in Midwest?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #3 on: Fri August 31, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
I would suggest trying to have it done by early October.    I am near Pittsburgh so our weather isn't all that different than yours.   I try to get as much done as I can by mid October.  Some years I can seed until early November and get good results but there are years when anything after mid October won't come in the way I would like.  It may or may not come in in the spring but if I want to dormant seed I need to be later in the winter.  Typically early October should come in fine. 
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline gregory1QR

« Reply #4 on: Fri January 24, 2020, 07:29:44 AM »
I've had some issues with lawn and backyard as well, but my problems were all about hedges all around the yard. Few weeks after, I've got a Husqvarna 122HD60 ( from here: https://bestyardproducts.com/best-gas-hedge-trimmer/ ), which helped me a lot with those hedges. This model is stuffed with a 21cc two-stroke engine, which is pretty suitable for most jobs around the backyard.
« Last Edit: Mon January 27, 2020, 01:04:58 AM by gregory1QR »

* Recent Posts

Re: Anyone having problems with the new profile premium wood mulch by Turboguy
[Thu August 06, 2020, 09:38:53 PM]

Re: Anyone having problems with the new profile premium wood mulch by janniboy@roadrunner.com
[Thu August 06, 2020, 08:33:05 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by Turboguy
[Tue August 04, 2020, 09:10:47 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by EvergreenD
[Tue August 04, 2020, 12:56:54 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by EvergreenD
[Mon August 03, 2020, 09:38:19 PM]

* Calendar

August 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15