collapse

Author Topic: Pregerminate seed?  (Read 660 times)

Offline Daler

Pregerminate seed?
« on: Tue August 20, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
Is it beneficial to pre-germinate your seed in water? I was told to pre-germinate for three days so I'm trying it. I bought two big water tanks one 2x4 and one 2x6. I am pre-germinating 11-50 pound grass seed in water any tips or info would be great thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed August 21, 2019, 09:24:10 AM by Cgtull »

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Pregerminate seed?
« Reply #1 on: Fri August 23, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
I have pregerminated seed occasionally.  It does seem to speed up germination some but for me the time and effort to pregerminate just doesn't seem worth it.  I hope you can give us some follow up posts about how it works for you.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
Re: Pregerminate seed?
« Reply #2 on: Sun April 26, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
A while back I was doing a lot of pre-germination. I was doing a lot seeding in the late fall early winter and wanted to make sure I was able to get results/germination to make the jobs successful and eliminate reseeding in the spring.  It actually works very well and I had good results with it.  The only issue was  the time it takes to work in conjunction with the jobs. I don?t recall exactly how long the seed needed to soak but if I remember it was the better part of two weeks. During this time the water needed to be changed on a daily basis and I kept the seed aerated the whole time. I made a drum with an aerator installed and a drain in the bottom to make the process easier but it still takes quite a bit of time and effort to be successful.  Also if it sits to long it will germinate to much which causes clogs when mixing and spraying because all of the seeds have tails.  With all of that said I think it?s well worth it for the right situation where some sort of germination is imperative late in the season or in a matter of days.  Beyond that now when I?m seeding late in the season I use extra rye annual and perennial and extra seed in mix and usually in the spring with some fertilizer I have good results with minimal extra effort. One other note. Unless you know exactly what jobs are coming up and when, it?s difficult to determine how much seed needs to be soaking at any given time.  I found that I had seed soaking that I did not end up using and did not have enough seed soaking when several jobs popped up at the same time
Easy Lawn TM-60

* Recent Posts

Re: Anyone having problems with the new profile premium wood mulch by Turboguy
[Thu August 06, 2020, 09:38:53 PM]

Re: Anyone having problems with the new profile premium wood mulch by janniboy@roadrunner.com
[Thu August 06, 2020, 08:33:05 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by Turboguy
[Tue August 04, 2020, 09:10:47 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by EvergreenD
[Tue August 04, 2020, 12:56:54 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by EvergreenD
[Mon August 03, 2020, 09:38:19 PM]

* Calendar

August 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15