collapse

Author Topic: Pregerminate seed?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Daler

• Forum Member
Pregerminate seed?
« on: Tue August 20, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
Is it beneficial to pre-germinate your seed in water? I was told to pre-germinate for three days so I'm trying it. I bought two big water tanks one 2x4 and one 2x6. I am pre-germinating 11-50 pound grass seed in water any tips or info would be great thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed August 21, 2019, 09:24:10 AM by Cgtull »

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Pregerminate seed?
« Reply #1 on: Fri August 23, 2019, 10:07:01 PM »
I have pregerminated seed occasionally.  It does seem to speed up germination some but for me the time and effort to pregerminate just doesn't seem worth it.  I hope you can give us some follow up posts about how it works for you.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline P.L.

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: Sun April 26, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
A while back I was doing a lot of pre-germination. I was doing a lot seeding in the late fall early winter and wanted to make sure I was able to get results/germination to make the jobs successful and eliminate reseeding in the spring.  It actually works very well and I had good results with it.  The only issue was  the time it takes to work in conjunction with the jobs. I don?t recall exactly how long the seed needed to soak but if I remember it was the better part of two weeks. During this time the water needed to be changed on a daily basis and I kept the seed aerated the whole time. I made a drum with an aerator installed and a drain in the bottom to make the process easier but it still takes quite a bit of time and effort to be successful.  Also if it sits to long it will germinate to much which causes clogs when mixing and spraying because all of the seeds have tails.  With all of that said I think it?s well worth it for the right situation where some sort of germination is imperative late in the season or in a matter of days.  Beyond that now when I?m seeding late in the season I use extra rye annual and perennial and extra seed in mix and usually in the spring with some fertilizer I have good results with minimal extra effort. One other note. Unless you know exactly what jobs are coming up and when, it?s difficult to determine how much seed needs to be soaking at any given time.  I found that I had seed soaking that I did not end up using and did not have enough seed soaking when several jobs popped up at the same time
Easy Lawn TM-60

Offline landscaper27

« Reply #3 on: Tue March 30, 2021, 12:56:09 PM »
I started really experimenting w/ pre-germination last season. I do irrigation and hydro as a side business. Most projects I do the grade, irrigation, and hydro, especially on new construction, so I have a little more control over the schedule. In the past I had tried buckets, trashcans, ect, but that just became a pain in the butt. About midway through last season I took the 275gal plastic tote out of it's metal "cage" it was in. That left me w/ a plastic pallet w/ cage like sides. My grass seed comes in plastic bags w/ stitched seals on top and bottom. I just stand the bags up in the cage, against eachother. I open up the top corner of each bag and 2-3 times per days stick the garden hose in and fill them up w/ water. The water slowly leaks out of the bottom of the bag over the next 30mins, so the seed isn't actually sitting all day in water, but it gives the seed a chance to soak up the water and get air. I do this on the north side of the building, so not in direct sun, keeps the seed moist. When its time to to go seed, stick the pallet on the trailer w/ the forklift.

Majority of what I seed is fescue, so I usually only soak for a couple days. By the time I seed, it's usually about ready to pop. I do it for quicker germination, but also to give the seed a better chance if I'm not going to be managing the irrigation. I did a 25,000' yard last year in early june, no presoaking, terrible winds for a week straight, and a homeowner who wasn't paying attention to proper moisture, was bone dry on 2 different occasions when I checked it. It took 5-7 days to start seeing whiskers, and didn't come up as thick as it should have. Fast forward to late July, hot and dry, had another 25,000' to do. Pre-soaked for 2-3 days. Sprayed that one on a Friday, I was gone for the weekend, so checked in w/ homeowner a couple times per day to check moisture. When I went to check on it on Monday, the yard was green, 1/2 -3/4" whiskers, as thick as can be. Thats what made me a believer in presoaking

So far this year, I've got a 12,000 and 35,000 in the sand and a 20,000 in the clay lined up for this spring. I will be presoaking all of those & managing the irrigation. I will say I have a full time office job that allows me to slip out to the shop and water the grass seed as much as needed, so that helps.
Anybody have ideas on what I can use for fert or bio's to inject in the water as I soak the seed?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #4 on: Wed March 31, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »
It sounds like you have a nice set up to do that.  As far as your question about fertilizer I would suggest either a liquid or water soluble fertilizer.  That should work fine for you.

Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline landscaper27

« Reply #5 on: Thu April 01, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »
Yeah, the system works pretty good. Got into hydroseeding 8-10 years ago. In the beginning I passed up the opportunity to buy a gently used Turbo 300 jet 30m down the road that came w/ probably 80 bales of mulch for $2000 all together. I had it in my head it was too small so I was gonna build my own 700gal jet machine. I drove 100m to buy a 700gal elliptical sump drain tank to start the project. Only to get there and find out they had an error in their computer system & didn't actually have one in stock. I ended up w/ a 725 leg tank. I should have put the kabash on that project right then and there. I never did sit down and tally up how much money I put into that project, but it was a lot. I ran it for 3-4 years until I found a good used mechanical Turf Maker on Craigslist in IL, got a pretty good deal on it. The landscaping company who had it said it was just too dirty of a job, would rather roll blankets. I mounted it on skids, & added a 500gal water tank to the front. I can now take enough batch and water to spray 10,000'. I put together a 1,000 gal water trailer that I take to the job the day before and fill up. Otherwise, if you fill w/ a garden hose it takes at least an hour to fill.

* Recent Posts

Dethatched lawns by Lucky Lawn
[Yesterday at 09:17:44 AM]

Finn T60 by Carolina Seeder
[Sat April 10, 2021, 01:58:23 PM]

Horn on T 90 by Jim K.
[Fri April 09, 2021, 08:02:45 PM]

Re: overseeding existing lawn by Bowie Man
[Fri April 02, 2021, 03:55:45 PM]

overseeding existing lawn by Daler
[Thu April 01, 2021, 11:03:47 AM]

* Calendar