collapse

Author Topic: My first time, Big lawn  (Read 207 times)

Offline magdalla

My first time, Big lawn
« on: Thu May 14, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »
My name is Bill Reilly in Lexington SC.  Last week I had my nearly an acre back yard roto tilled and am in the process of racking and leveling ready for seed.  I have  an irrigation system. A friend of my son has a Finn T60 and is letting me borrow it.  My question is what quantities and mixture to use. was planning on a centipede base.  Any thoughts on where I should purchase the material needed?  Any advice would be great. The friend would rather I get my own materials

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: My first time, Big lawn
« Reply #1 on: Fri May 15, 2020, 03:09:12 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Bill.  As far as where to buy materials the hydroseeding association has a web site that is designed to help people find local sources of hydroseeding materials.   Here is a link to the page for South Carolina.   https://hydroseedingsupplyfinder.com/hydroseeding-supplies-south-carolina/    If none of those are close to you call the company with the banner at the top of the page and they can help you find someone.  If you find someone not on our list let us know so we can add them.

As far as the amount of materials per load I think the person who you are borrowing the machine from can help with that but if not let us know and we can give you some guidance. 
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline HSandG

• Forum Member
    • www.hsandgerosioncontrol.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri May 15, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »
I am assuming you have minimal experience using this machine , so forgive me if i explain too much. A finn T-60 is roughly a 600 gallon machine. An ideal full batch for this machine is four 50 pound bales of Profile 70/30 blend fiber mulch , 50 lbs of seed suited for your area , 50 pounds of 19-19-19 fertilizer because this fertilizer is generally water soluble ,and six pounds of tackifier. If your soil needs lime , the machine will easily handle a couple of 50 pound bags of marking lime with the rest of the mix. Marking lime is more gentle on the pump and responds faster in the soil. A full batch will cover 5000 to 5500 square feet of area. Measure and mark off the area that the batch will cover and spray evenly until the machine is empty. I have found that it covers best if you pre wet the soil first then spray using a sweeping motion , it looks much better , otherwise the soil rolls up into balls and furrows and you tend to over spray even though there will still be bare areas. As far as the machine goes - mix with the auger going in the mix direction and reverse it to spray. The centrifugal pump on these machines can be fussy. It will be best to have a helper or two , one to tend the machine and one to help pull hose. Start by pulling the hose to the spray area ,auger in spray direction , recirculator on  , at least 3/4 throttle , engage clutch , open hose valves and spray. Make sure the tower gun valve is closed . Don't close the hose valve for too long or the mulch will pack up into the tower pipe past the recirculator and plug everything. Also if there are any leaks in the hose , valve and pipes , the mulch will dewater between loads - then  you will be taking the pipes apart to dig out the rock hard clog.As the material in the tank is used up , you will want to slow the augers so the materal moves but  dos not splash . Splashing draws air into the mulch causing the pump to cavitate.
Let us know how it goes.
finn t-330 , b-260 mulcher

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #3 on: Mon May 18, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
Great post HSandG.  I am sure that will really help him. 
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

* Recent Posts

Test, just a test by XRumerTest
[Sun May 24, 2020, 12:23:23 PM]

Re: Grass Seeds Mixture by Turboguy
[Thu May 21, 2020, 03:16:30 PM]

Re: Grass Seeds Mixture by hanls
[Wed May 20, 2020, 07:45:55 AM]

Re: Finn T170 by Turboguy
[Tue May 19, 2020, 09:09:49 AM]

Re: Finn T170 by ajmctree
[Mon May 18, 2020, 09:49:49 PM]