collapse

Author Topic: New Hydroseed filling with weeds  (Read 235 times)

Offline Olie

New Hydroseed filling with weeds
« on: Tue June 16, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »
I hydroseeded my lawn about 2 weeks ago. I tilled the yard 3 times and raked it about 4 times. the guy that hydroseeded it was about a week late in hydroseeding the lawn. He told me to rake it the day before they came to hydroseed, which i did. Its been about 2 weeks I water everyday but I am noticing a lot of weeds coming through. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do currently to get rid of these weeds without ruing the grass coming up.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: New Hydroseed filling with weeds
« Reply #1 on: Sun June 21, 2020, 06:09:22 AM »
When the weather gets warmer as it is now the lawn can dry out pretty quickly when we water.   That is particularly true if there are few trees to provide some shade that can let the soil hold moisture longer.   When this is the case it is common to see some grass coming up around the house where the house provides some shade.  It may also be coming up in low spots where the moisture holds longer.

I am not sure how often you watered.  Sometimes once a cay isn't enough in hot weather.  It is better to try to water as often as possible but lightly.  Once the grass germinates then watering can be less frequent.  The trick is to keep the seed as moist as possible
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline Olie

« Reply #2 on: Mon June 22, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »
Hey Turboguy I've been watering the lawn 2 times a day since it was sprayed. We just cut it for the first time yesterday. We plan to now water it 3-5 times a week now for the next month.
Is there anything I can do to help lower the population of weeds coming through? Is there a feed and weed we could use or anything?

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #3 on: Tue June 23, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »
For now I would just control the weeds by mowing.  Once the lawn is established you can do a weed and feed but that would inhibit seed germination so it isn't a good idea right now.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

* Recent Posts

* Calendar

July 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31