collapse

Author Topic: Want my new lawn to succeed, looking for any suggestions! Thanks  (Read 359 times)

Offline bosstown_strong

I just regraded, loamed, and hydroseeded my lawn with bluegrass, fescue, and rye mix in Massachusetts. I also installed a sprinkler System. I have read and heard many opinions but figured I could find the right answers here. I was told to water at 6am, 9am, 12pm, and 3 pm for about 10 minutes each time: enough to wet everything with no run off. I was told anytime before 6 Am was pointless because the dew from overnight takes care of it and after 5 was too late and would create disease. I just want to make sure I am on the right track. Also, when do I change this schedule and reduce watering. Also when should I fertilize and what do you recommend? Should I get a soil test? Thanks for all the help

Offline Clinton

• Hydroscape Solutions
Re: Want my new lawn to succeed, looking for any suggestions! Thanks
« Reply #1 on: Mon June 15, 2020, 05:52:53 PM »
Its getting that time where I have customers calling for fungus issues.
Best to apply a maintenance application of DiseaseEX from the box stores if you can and will save you alot of headache if you should get a bloom of fungi.

Fertilize with a 10-20-10 or starter fertilizer after 30 days.  (Full Sun areas)  Slow release if possible.
For shade areas do half the application rate unless there are significant issues with the soil.

As for watering - on hot days you may need to do more.  No standing puddles.  As long as its moist you should be fine.  Have to fine tune the intervals with warm and cool days.  Extreme heat may have you watering 6 times a day.  While a cool day may be morning and night.
I

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
Re: Want my new lawn to succeed, looking for any suggestions! Thanks
« Reply #2 on: Tue June 16, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
The watering schedule sounds pretty good.  It is important to keep the seed moist and in hot sunny times it can dry out pretty quickly.  Once the seed germinates you can cut back on watering a bit.  The most important thing is to keep it as moist as possible during the germination stage.   Fast germination and you will have a great lawn with no or very few weeds.  Water far less than you should and you will have a great crop of weeds with some grass between the weeds. 

Once the grass gets about 3" tall you can mow but set  your mower high and be careful turning.   Once you have mowed you can fertilize.   I would typically go with a high nitrogen fertilizer but go lighter than what the bag says.  For example if it says to set your spreader at 5.5 set it at 4.5.    You can get a soil test before fertilizing if you wish.  When I seed I go with a high phosphorus (the middle number) fertilizer so I suggest my customers use a high nitrogen (the first number) fertilizer.   Since I don't know what fertilizer was used a soil test might be a good idea.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

* Recent Posts

Considering Upgrade to TurfMaker 1000 by Canadian Hydroseed
[Today at 03:04:21 PM]

Re: mixing mulches by Bowie Man
[Tue September 22, 2020, 09:18:44 AM]

Re: mixing mulches by Turboguy
[Thu September 17, 2020, 06:10:10 AM]

mixing mulches by Daler
[Thu September 17, 2020, 01:59:09 AM]

Re: How to convert a trailer to a truck mount? by hydroservice
[Tue September 15, 2020, 12:36:28 PM]