collapse

Author Topic: Nozzle selection?  (Read 474 times)

Offline EvergreenD

Nozzle selection?
« on: Wed July 29, 2020, 01:23:37 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to hydroseeding just bought a 500gal/Mit40 setup, I think it's an old turbo turf system. Anyways I've got 1.5" spray hose, and I'm wondering what nozzels I should buy ex: 1" 80 degree or 1.25" 80 degree? I plan on spraying primarily paper and eventually seeing how much wood mulch this thing will handle, maybe 70/30 paper/ wood?

Offline hydroservice

• Forum Legend
Re: Nozzle selection?
« Reply #1 on: Wed July 29, 2020, 08:45:29 AM »
Not sure why 1 1/2 hose but the most popular nozzle I sell is a 1F50/500, the 80/500 is to wide for most and the 25/500 is to narrow tends to splash more near things
Erosion Control Equipment & Products Since 1947
                     Pittsfield, Maine
                        FINN T-330

Offline Bowie Man

• Officers
  • Forum Legend
    • http://www.NEBowieSales.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed July 29, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »
FYI, an article I published on understanding nozzles for hydroseeding ..................

Choosing the Right Nozzle

Nozzles are an often overlooked part of the application process and yet it is essential for success. Using the correct nozzle for the application helps create even coverage, improve pump performance and can help maximize discharge time.
Nozzles are defined by two numbers, a degree of fan and a volume or GPM capability. These numbers will usually be found stamped on the nozzle and help identify its capabilities A typical fan nozzle may read 50500 . Nozzles are most commonly produced in brass or plastic, with brass being the most popular with manufacturers because of its durability and longevity.

The picture shows 3 of the most common fan nozzles found on hydroseeding machines. From Left to Right the picture shows 50? - 40? - 25? nozzles. Most machines would also include a o? or straight nozzle. These numbers would be found etched into the body of the nozzle. The 40 and 50 degree nozzles are most commonly used for hose application as the wide degree of fan and shorter spray distance gives greater control and makes creating an even coverage easier. The 25? nozzle is often used for tower gun applications. It has less of a degree of fan but a greater spray distance making it a good fit for this application. The straight nozzle is best used for long distance shooting on areas not easily accessible. Though effective for long range shooting the nature of a straight stream does make accurately spraying more difficult and usually requires more material to get 100% even coverage.

The second component of the nozzle is its discharge capacity usually thought of as gallons per minute.
The greater the discharge capacity the quicker one can empty a tank. Larger capacity nozzles also can reduce clogging at the end of the hose and improve pump performance by reducing back pressure. A particular capacity is not easily discerned by the numbers on the nozzle. For instance 50500 refers to a 50? fan and the 500 refers to the volume capacity. To determine the actual gallons per minute from that number it must be cross referenced on a manufacturers chart. This chart would index a particular nozzles numbers against expected pump pressure which would yield an expected GPM.
Typical GPM numbers at 100 PSI would look like this

Spray Angle / Capacity / Expected GPM
40 .................... 500.................... 79
50 .....................500 ....................79
50..................... 750 ...................106
50................... 1000 ...................141
25 .....................750 ....................119
25 ...................1000 ....................158
0 or straight ... 7/8" opening ....... 230
0 or straight ...1-1/8" opening....... 375

In simplest terms the bigger the number the greater the volume.

Some last thoughts. Nozzles are not machine specific and are interchangeable between manufacturers.
Once the discharge point size is determined, 1-1/4" , 1-1/2" or 2" the nozzles can be adapted with the proper sized reducing couplers.
Lastly I recommend setting up your connections with cam lock fittings. It makes changing nozzles quicker and reduces the chances of damaging thread ends making it difficult to screw on or off the nozzle or getting aggravated because no one brought a wrench.

Stay Safe and Keep Spraying
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales
Ed Dugan
Northeast Bowie Sales LLC
Phone: (908) 231-0987
Fax:  (908) 333-4117
Mobile: (908) 334-6398
www.nebowiesales.com

Now Playing - New Bowie Video featuring our Hydro-Mulchers and Straw Blowers in action.
See what you are missing at:  www.bowieindustries.com

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #3 on: Wed July 29, 2020, 11:07:11 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
    • Turbo Turf HydroSeeding Systems
« Reply #4 on: Fri July 31, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
Ed's post was really good and quite helpful. 

If it helps we typically size the nozzle diameter to be 1/4" smaller than the hose size.  So if a unit has 1 1/2" hose we will use a 1 1/4" nozzle.  If a unit has 1 1/4" hose we will use a 1" nozzle.  The exception to that is our very small units from 50 to 150 gallons.  On those we use a 3/4" nozzle since they are typically doing smaller areas and the smaller nozzles will trim better. 

I like a 65 to 80 degree nozzle for most hydroseeding jobs for when I am working right in front of me.   I do sometimes use a 50 degree and that works well too.  For hillsides I like a 25 degree nozzle unless I need all the distance I can get then I use a zero degree nozzle. 
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #5 on: Fri July 31, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
Check her out, a few more days n I should be running some test loads. Also had to cut legs off of tank mount to get it home, 1k mile drive. Ohh and I went back and looked at my spray hose, it is 1.25"...What do y'all think?

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #6 on: Fri July 31, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
Tank

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #7 on: Sat August 01, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
I think you will be fine.  The MIT-40 pump on that unit is a good pump and the Kohler Command Pro engine has been very reliable.  I would guess it is a 2002 unit give or take a year or so.  I would probably go with 1" nozzles on it. 

Here is a link to our nozzle page if you want some idea of what is available but you can get nozzles many places.   https://turboturf.com/hydroseeding-nozzles/
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #8 on: Sat August 01, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Man, I knew it had some years on it but 18, that's crazy, Cast iron for the win Eh! It does however need a new mechanical seal, it was leaking pretty good out the back of the pump (fresh water.) Also I'm pretty sure once I get some mulch in there among other things, it'll pack off a little bit, but am going to need to replace it at some point. Now when I buy parts for this thing what all do you reccomend I get besides the seal, I'm sure it'll be rust city when I pull it apart, and i see myself breaking either bolts or stripping nuts...
« Last Edit: Sat August 01, 2020, 03:50:55 PM by EvergreenD »

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #9 on: Sat August 01, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »
Usually the seal and possibly the sleeve are all you need but I would also replace the gasket when you pull the pump apart.  Typically it won't leak much less with mulch in.  Once they start leaking you are pretty much stuck with replacing the mechanical seal.  It is pretty easy to replace. 
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #10 on: Sun August 02, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
I've got a 500 gal horizontal leg tank sittin in the garage. Twin 500 gal tanks, worth the trouble to mount for either water storage, another hydroseeding tank, or leave room for pallets? I've got 12' of bed to work with.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #11 on: Sun August 02, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »
I am not sure you will have room for the tank.  The unit should be about 8 1/2 feet long which will only leave you 3 1/2 feet.  If you are rebuilding the frame you could mount the tank sideways and pick up some space.  That should leave room for the tank.  I would use the leg tank for extra water rather than a hydroseeder tank.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #12 on: Mon August 03, 2020, 02:32:28 PM »
Here is how I want to set my truck up. The tank is going to be flipped over obviously, but if the sump is up under the bed a little like it's going to be this way. Think I'm going to have suction issues? I was really trying not to have legs welded back onto my tank saddle, I like how low it is.

Offline Turboguy

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Beaver Falls, PA
« Reply #13 on: Mon August 03, 2020, 09:26:07 PM »
I think you can make it work the way you want but I do think you will have to have legs.  Our sump on current tanks are only about 1/3 as deep as on that one but the idea of the deep sump was you could pull your suction off the side to eliminate an elbow and that actually could let the tank be lower.
Turbo Turf HS-400-XPW

Offline EvergreenD

« Reply #14 on: Mon August 03, 2020, 09:38:19 PM »
I like the idea of coming out the side of the sump.. Getting new legs is probably the easiest route right..

* Recent Posts

Re: Anyone having problems with the new profile premium wood mulch by Turboguy
[Thu August 06, 2020, 09:38:53 PM]

Re: Anyone having problems with the new profile premium wood mulch by janniboy@roadrunner.com
[Thu August 06, 2020, 08:33:05 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by Turboguy
[Tue August 04, 2020, 09:10:47 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by EvergreenD
[Tue August 04, 2020, 12:56:54 PM]

Re: Nozzle selection? by EvergreenD
[Mon August 03, 2020, 09:38:19 PM]

* Calendar

August 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15